General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear light housing + condensation...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear light housing + condensation...

Looks like water droplets on the inside of my driver's side rear housing and in the reverse light housing (very noticeable since it's clear). But it looks like due to the condensation in the turn signal/running/brake light portion of the housing (red/black portion), it makes the lights look dim. A few people tell me my lights out or going out even though I changed the bulbs and the new ones looked exactly the same.

Question... is it worth buying a new housing or buying a used one (this will be a difficult sell b/c I hate used stuff on my car)

Without pulling the housing off the car, I inspected it for cracks where the water could get in but I can't find anything... If I get a new one, I'll be sure to use the silicone sealant to prevent this in the future. I don't know how I feel about $300 for a new one tho

Last edited by Adam2001WS6; 04-18-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Seal them with silicon had to do that to mine years ago. I believe the one I used was for a windshield it pours out almost clear liquid and then dries (looks clean)
Old 04-18-2010, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
Seal them with silicon had to do that to mine years ago. I believe the one I used was for a windshield it pours out almost clear liquid and then dries (looks clean)
Yeah, I've got the clear silicone to use... this is more of a what to do about the current situation and if there's a way to salvage the current housing so as to not have to buy another.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem and drilled a small hole in the bottom to allow for water to escape...been yrs and haven't had more issues. I did the same with the parking lamp housings in the front that had condensation in them as well.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam2001WS6
Yeah, I've got the clear silicone to use... this is more of a what to do about the current situation and if there's a way to salvage the current housing so as to not have to buy another.
The damaged is already done, the reflective coating has come off only way to fix is to replace them
Old 04-19-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I can definitely tell that there is some rusting on the reflective suraface in the clear, reverse light bubble... sucks. If I replace one, I'll more than likely replace both at the same time because I'm **** like that and like my stuff to match in "new-ness"