Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > General Maintenance & Repairs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

General Maintenance & Repairs
Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Sponsored by
Gearstar Performance Transmissions

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2
Default How to get gas smell out of carpet.

Have a friend that has a gas can turn over in his car. Been a week and the smell is still there. Aired it out and everything. Anyone know how to get the smell out?

Jwright41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 0

You can put charcoal in the compartment and it will soak up the odors... Febreeze is great too.

Be careful with the charcoal, it will stain your carpet, so use common sense and put it in a tupperware box with the lid off or something
iatros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatros View Post
You can put charcoal in the compartment and it will soak up the odors... Febreeze is great too.

Be careful with the charcoal, it will stain your carpet, so use common sense and put it in a tupperware box with the lid off or something
You talking about regular ole' BBQ type charcoal.......just curious in case I ever need to do it?

1998 WS6 T/A, AES 390ci fully forged iron block, LS6 intake, LS1 heads, 239/235 .600/.600 114 lsa, 1 7/8" Grot LT's, 3" w/Magnaflow, 4L60E, Strange 12 bolt, Baer brakes, Hotchkis STB, UMI PH Bar, LCA's w/relocation brackets, SFC's, LG G2 Super Springs. Hals FR, Bilsteins RR, 275/315.

427ci stroker died at 173,000 miles...what a great engine that was, built by the late, great - Dave DiLuca...RIP...
-Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we might as well DANCE.
LS6427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 9
Send a message via MSN to eseibel67

You can wash the hell out of it, and it will help.

But the only thing that will really take the gas smell out of carpet is a calender.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
TECH Regular
Garage is empty, add now

Vinegar works, but then is will smell like that. I say the fabreeze should work.
rich Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eseibel67 View Post
But the only thing that will really take the gas smell out of carpet is a calender.
Well, if you had as much trouble figuring that out as I did, here's what he meant: calendar, or time.

And I agree. Only time will really take the smell out. Always drive it with the windows open and vents on if possible, and park it overnight with windows open if possible. I don't see how febreze will work, that's just going to cover it up, and probably mix with the gas smell and smell nasty. The gas just needs to dry out completely, and with time it will. I wish I could tell you how to speed up the process but I can't think of anything except a shampooer. Our carpet shampooer has a hose attachment that let's you do cars. It sprays hot water mixed with shampoo and then sucks it back up. That would suck some of the gas out of the carpet too, which should help.
X-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 PM   #7
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6427 View Post
You talking about regular ole' BBQ type charcoal.......just curious in case I ever need to do it?

Yep... the surface area of the charcoal will bind to and "absorb" the odors. The other thing you can use is baking soda. Kind of like what people do with their refridgerators. Same idea.

Sprinkle that all over your carpet, and let it sit there for a while... then vacuum it up.

I had a bottle of milk that my passenger left in my car which exploded in the warm FL heat... and sure enough, smelled like VOMIT in there until I used the above mentioned methods.

Good luck!
iatros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
car, carpet, charcoal, exhaust, fumes, gad, gas, gasoline, odor, outta, rug, smell, smellin, stain, taking