General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

clunking when backing up/play in driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking when backing up/play in driveshaft

car is an '02 SS M6 with about 100,000 miles. the past few weeks or so i've noticed that when i back up i hear a clunking sound, kind of like the teeth of a gear move a bit before engaging. my rear has been showing signs of wear, it's whining when i cruise and let of the gas while still in gear and sometimes it only spins 1 tire, pretty much i'm just riding it until i can afford a MWC 9'' sometime this summer. the trans seems fine but every once in a while it'll grind going into 3rd, but other than that no issues besides a small leak in the rear seal. i jacked it up today to see if there was anything in the rear suspension that seemed worn out or loose and the only thing i could find was the driveshaft seems to have more play than usuall. or more than i think it should have anyway and it's definately not in the u-joints. i'm pretty sure it's in the rear but if the trans was fine, wouldn't it not allow me to shake the DS because of course it's moving on the trans side just as much there as it is at the rear? if it's the rearend, i'll be repacing that anyway, but how can i be sure the trans doesn't have excessive play as well? sorry for the essay, any advice is much appreciated! thanks
Old 05-26-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine makes a clunk when I'm backing out of my driveway, over a very small bump. It also happens occasionally when turning very sharply at low speeds. I think its just my diff sorting out the strange discrepancy in wheel speeds. 30k miles on mine.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

could be the thrust block (paddle) in the torsen banging around as it rotates, pretty common.