General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ticking, misifing, exhaust smells like raw fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking, misifing, exhaust smells like raw fuel

Yesterday driving home, mostly between 35-50 mph varying between 3rd and 4th gear on back roads for about 50 mins or so. i get to a point where I slow down to 20-25 and I notice a fast paced ticking sound that varies with engine rpm. Can't really hear it above 2500, but that's because the car is just loud.

Service engine light comes on, engine starts missing and vibrating. Put on the flashers and limped 2 miles to my house where it's been since.

Ticking sound is coming from the passenger side cylinder head area, id say cylinder 4, possibly 6. I initially thought it was a burned plug wire on 4 since it was touching the AIR flange on the long tubes. I replaced the wire, plug, and swapped coil packs around but the sound is still there. The exhaust smells like raw fuel. I will try swapping out parts on 6 when I get home later just to rule out plug wires/plug/coil entirely.

so.... any ideas? I'm hoping its nothing major, since I'm tight on cash since I JUST bought a damn house and I'm still in the process of getting settled in.

any help is greatly appreciated
Old 07-15-2010, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got home later than i expected so i didnt have much daylight. I pulled two plugs out of the passenger side bank and they were both damp with fuel. not sure if it helps any, but just a little additional info.