General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Easiest way to get alternator out? Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easiest way to get alternator out? Any tips?

Determined that my alternator has gone out, going to bring it in to get tested.

I see the two main bolts holding it on from the front as well as the bolt on the alternator mounting bracket, but I also see a bolt from the back - I'm assuming this holds it on from the back - what's the easiest way to get to that sucker? And it didn't seem to be a metric 15 like the front bolts, anybody know the size off hand?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Its easy to put a ratchet on all 3 bolts to get them out. Once they are all out, make sure you then reach down from the top IF YOU CAN and unplug the little tiny excitor wire from the top rear of ther alternator. If you can't reach it, then begin to take the alternator out by hitting it with the palm of your hand to loosen it from the mounts, then slowly tumble it to where you can then unplug that excitor wire. IT BREAKS VERY EASILY. Also, unbolt the alternator cable before dropping it out.

Then move the alternator forward, over the Sway Bar....and it will fall out. You just have to find the sweet spot so it falls out.

Why not charge the battery, then drive the car to an auto parts store to have the alternator tested while on the car.....just to make sure thats the failed part. You should have plenty of power in the battery to go 5-8 miles. I have before.