General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Stupid quesion about spark plug change

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 10:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stupid quesion about spark plug change

I recently changed out my spark plugs and wires last week. Everything went...relatively smooth...but it got done. Car runs great, it really loves it. Even though I was careful, I am still paranoid about a couple things since I had to use "the Force" to put the plugs and wires in.

It was hard for me to hear or even feel if the wires clicked when I put them on but I did tug on them and they were secure, everything looked identical. Also, I have heard it is REAL EASY to cross thread these spark plugs (I did use anti-seize as well of course).

Is there a way to tell if a spark plug is not firing while driving? Would the engine RPMs jump around? Would the engine sputter or something? Also, IF I did cross thread a spark plug, what would happen during engine operation? Would it be louder when I hit the gas, etc? Sorry if I sound paranoid. I just don't like how I had to basically work blind when doing this. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If one plug wasn't firing, the engine would be running pretty rough. I had the same problem when putting the wires back on my plugs....there wasn't a really tactile "click" when the wire popped onto the plug. If you car isn't running rough, you don't have a loose wire.

For cross-threading, as long as you didn't need to use anything but your fingers to get the plugs all the way down to final torquing (as far as being able to just spin them down), you probably didn't cross-thread anything. Aluminum isn't hard to cross-thread, but the plug would still be tight as soon as you started installing it if you had cross-threaded it.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like everything is fine. If you did have a cylinder that was not firing the engine would run terrible. Your spark plug install also sounds fine. If they were cross threaded you would know it. They would not get tight and after continuous turning would rip the threads out.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

their is no stupid questions, just stupid peoples, did u change plug when engine still hot or stone cold ?
Old 08-20-2010, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by killagt
their is no stupid questions, just stupid peoples, did u change plug when engine still hot or stone cold ?
Um, cold obviously. I let it sit in the garage and did the job through the night. I'm not THAT stupid, lol. Believe it or not, I didn't have a problem removing the #8 plug at all. Removing the passenger side coils was more of a hassle than removing the plugs. Oh well, I'll be faster at doing it the second time around.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll find out if I cross threaded for sure next time I change the plugs I guess. Also, there are no lights or anything as I'm sure it will kick a code or something. Now on to other maintenance stuff...like the fuel filter and flushing all fluids. I think I'm going to like working on my car.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey, im just want to say that a very long time lol. anyway if u ever want not cross thread on spark plug, here the tip, when u put the plug on the hole. turn it to the left until it click, then turn it to the right and screw it it, doing that it will never cross thread .

btw some spark plug wire dont make click noise, just push it in hard and done. what plug and wire did u use and what gap u gap the plug at ?
Old 08-20-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Funny thing is, I knew someone was going to say that line when I made the title, lol.

I used MSD wires. I was going to use regular stock wires as it will be a while until I start upgrading the motor (if I do) but MSD was actually cheaper than whatever I would find at Autozone, etc. So I got the "performance" wires. I heard clicks on the other coils except for #8 and I think another one. Changing the plug was easy, the wires are what frustrated me the most. But everything looked uniform (how far the plug sat on the coils and plugs, as well as angles of plugs).

For the plugs, I got NGK TR55s gapped at .060. I followed the write up on Install University and I drove my car up on ramps. So I used a combo of working underneath and working from the top. Swivel ratchets are a life saver on this job.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

.060 ?
Old 08-20-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, it's what my Chilton's and Install University webpage both say. Why?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

if one of the cylinders were misfiring then you should be throwing an SES code..

Also, if you want to test each spark plug then you can have someone crank the motor with the fuel pump off and one of the spark plugs out to watch for the spark. Make sure you ground the spark plug by holding it up against the frame of the motor compartment.. But if I were you I wouldn't worry too much until a code was thrown.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I'm not so worried about it now. I'm partly paranoid because the change went so well (especially for my first attempt at it).
Old 08-21-2010, 06:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 218 Likes on 178 Posts

.060..........works like a charm

Quick Reply: Stupid quesion about spark plug change