General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Whining from under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 02:06 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining from under the hood

On & off whining coming from under the hood while driving. Just want to see if any has any suggestions on what it might be. It started happening after long tubes were installed, well at least that's when I first noticed it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:10 AM
On The Tree

Can u describe the sound a little more? Does it almost sound like hissing? I'm hearing that after installing offroad headers and I want to see the replies...
Old 08-27-2010, 02:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

From which area of the engine bay is the sound coming? Also, does the sound's volume increase with increasing rpm/throttle?
Old 08-27-2010, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your pulleys??? link to fix
Old 08-27-2010, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Maybe the supercharger fairy came in tthe middle of the night to grant a wish! Check under the hood for a maggie or a procharger. Ha ha. Its prob a pulley. Power steering pump will make crazy noise if low??
Old 08-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gohard
Can u describe the sound a little more? Does it almost sound like hissing? I'm hearing that after installing offroad headers and I want to see the replies...
When I think of hissing I'm thinking of a sound like air leaking, so I don't believe that's the noise mine is making
Old 08-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Squirts11
From which area of the engine bay is the sound coming? Also, does the sound's volume increase with increasing rpm/throttle?
It's coming from the driverside. No change in volume, it's almost as if something is turning off and on, off and on, etc.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Camaro8509
your pulleys??? link to fix
Im pretty positive it's not my pulleys. It's as if it's timed. It seems to whine each time for the same length of time.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Brian Coles
Maybe the supercharger fairy came in tthe middle of the night to grant a wish! Check under the hood for a maggie or a procharger. Ha ha. Its prob a pulley. Power steering pump will make crazy noise if low??
Crazy enough I had a dream that had that as my conclusion. Too bad I had to wake up.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

If you got offroad headers did you remove the AIR system and seal off all the valves???
Old 08-27-2010, 09:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you got offroad headers did you remove the AIR system and seal off all the valves???
This is what I was going to say as well.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Teching In

The A.I.R. pump is most likely the culprit here. My SS is stock and I can hear it quite loudly when I first start the car up. From my understanding though it is supposed to shut off once the vehicle hit it normal operating temperature. The A.I.R. pump is located on the drivers side closer towards the nose. Most guys I know just pull the pump once the Hoses are removed. I can only imagine how loud it must be with no hoses, lol. Uhm... Runway one you are clear for take off!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

I do have offroad headers and y-pipe, and yes I believe I sealed everything. I have a FAST intake man. and didn't drill out for egr, headers didn't include fittings for egr, so no block off plate needed. Is there something I'm missing or forgot to mention?
Old 08-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by EOD_JOE
The A.I.R. pump is most likely the culprit here. My SS is stock and I can hear it quite loudly when I first start the car up. From my understanding though it is supposed to shut off once the vehicle hit it normal operating temperature. The A.I.R. pump is located on the drivers side closer towards the nose. Most guys I know just pull the pump once the Hoses are removed. I can only imagine how loud it must be with no hoses, lol. Uhm... Runway one you are clear for take off!!!
I didn't install the headers myself, so I had no idea if the pump was removed, however, I did come to the conclusion a few days ago that it might be that and I went looking for it. I didn't see it, but them again I didn't know exactly where to look, but I don't believe I overlooked it.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:08 PM
Teching In

That thing is hidden pretty good. I don't know many guys who go for the A.I.R. when doing headers. I don't know much about the system, but I do know that what you are explaining sounds like the pump. It's a fairly easy removal. I remember a while back some did a nice write up on it. You could probably find it using the search feature.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Its the air pump..mine did that after I got my 427ci installed and a couple days later I was like WTF is that. It would come on/off at difererent intervals. The engine insatller never dic0onnected the air pump electrically, but I had no choice for it as all my emmissions **** was removed of course.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:11 AM
Staging Lane

The conclusion.... It was the AIR and that sneaky SOB was removed this afternoon and I am very, very happy now. I want to thank all of you for your time, suggestions, and help.