General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Drivers side window (not the motor)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drivers side window (not the motor)

So recently my motor went bad, and today I replaced it. Turns out it's not my only problem, and the problems I attributed to the motor going out still happen. The window rolls up like a champ, just like a new motor should, but only occasionally wants to roll down. If I push the down switch all the way down it won't budge, but if I wiggle it back and forth it will sometimes decide to roll down.

So this leads me to thing it's a faulty connection, only effecting the pin that controls the down side of the passenger window, or some other electrical problem. Is there any way I can diagnose this? any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Double check the plastic bezel that holds the window switch. Sometimes they crack or break and allow the switch to move around without actually engaging the switch.

If it is cracked you'll need to remove the bezel and repair it. I used some plastic super glue from the hardware store to fix mine and it has held really well.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The switches sometimes do go bad. I'd say you can either:
- just change the switch
- test the switch with a continuity tester
- or jump the wires in the switch connector to confirm the switch is a bad part of the system
Old 09-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Banned

My friend had the same problem with his 98 t/a nd we replaced the motor and switch first. Still nothin so we was like wtf and I searched everywhere and found there is a window module that controls the automtic down feature. This module sits in a cubby hole in the firewall right behind the gas pedal. Try everything else first because the part was like 140 from the stealership.hope this helps good luck man