General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Got alternator problems again! >:(

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Got alternator problems again! >:(

Well its been a good month since i did an truck alternator swap. Everything has been working perfectly until now! Me and my brothers went out to eat with my dad and on the way back my red Check Guages light came on. I looked down and sure enough my voltage meter is dugg up on the red again . This time its different though when i give it gas the gauge doesnt budge, last time when i gave the car gas the guage would go up and as soon as i let of the pedal the guage would drop down. Now the guage is not going up just stays in the red.

You guys think maybe the battery wire disconnected? The alternator was working perfectly fine right up until 10 mins ago. This really put me in a bad mood and now im not in the holiday spirit, im bout to leave out of town and the thought of me having to come home on monday (my birthday) and work on the car and pull the POS off again makes me pretty mad. The dam power steering pump puked all over the alternator again but its not as bad as it was last time so i dont think that killed it. Im really starting to hate my car, its been good all summer and even last summer and winter it was okay and this winter took it toll on it. Now i know why everyone puts them away but being my daily driver i dont have that option. I dont understand why our LS1's couldnt have the alternator on top like the vettes do. Its ****** stupid that they are on bottom, whoever thought of that needs to shoot themselves!

Well merry Christmas to you guys. If anybody has any ideas what it might be please comment. Thanks
Old 12-24-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Regular

Heres my last thread i made on the truck alternator mod, https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...need-help.html
Old 12-27-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me appears the alternator just died. Check all wires and connections. Make sure battery cables are tight. Use a voltmeter to check charging system. If all connections are good and output is low replace the alternator. did you use a new alternator or a used. if new what type where did you buy it from?
Old 12-31-2010, 05:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Lt1Porsche
To me appears the alternator just died. Check all wires and connections. Make sure battery cables are tight. Use a voltmeter to check charging system. If all connections are good and output is low replace the alternator. did you use a new alternator or a used. if new what type where did you buy it from?
Just got done replacing it with another one. It was used i dont have the money to fork over for a new one. It was working perfectly fine until i filled up my power steering resorvoir again because it was low on fluid...about 2 weeks later my alternator gives out and it was drenched in PS fluid. My PS pump is leaking bad, i havent refilled it anymore since i replaced the alternator again and i dont want it to go out. Ill be ordering a new PS pump soon though and changing it out. If this alternator can at least make it until spring i will be ok.