General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Water pump advice needed..

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump advice needed..

Need some advice...
I had the WP gasket leak so I pulled the pump and replaced it for good measure... Got a new AZ pump, and it appears it has a pulley that has a balance problem... The belt rides perfectly smooth and even and it looks like the rounded part is the problem, like it was shaped a bit off... It seems to cause a vibration slightly above idle and is pretty much un-noticeable while driving and really does not bother me. Anyone think it will be a problem long term other than the vibration?

I have had the car since day one so no other issues..

Thanks for any input..
Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the hub is machined out of balance, (not true to center) it Will cause a shaft bearing failure of the WP much quicker than should ever happen Personally I would removeit and return it. Who knows where youll be when the thing decides to crap out. Also if its out of round, it will have high and low spots, this will put un-needed wear on your tensioner, causing the belt to get tight and then loose. Hope this helps
Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Yah, that is what I was thinking as well... the belt landing is not out of round at all, perfectly round and true to the shaft...absolutely no movement from the tensioner at all. It seems to be the front rounded part that is at fault... really hard to explain, you would have to see it... just harder on the bearings as you noted..
Old 06-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Just spend the few extra dollars and get a Ac-Delco pump if the next AZ pump does the same thing.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Yup, this is what I get for cheaping out...

Never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

What does a new OEM pump run? Hell, the new AZ pump was almost $200.00 and does anyone have the OEM P/N?

Any sponser's carry them?

Last edited by LS14ME2; 06-02-2011 at 09:16 PM.