General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Air System Removal

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air System Removal

I said screw it and pulled all that crap out over the past couple of nights. Ordered the block off plates and will deal with the SES light I'll be seeing. Does the SES light come on every engine cycle?

It was so satisfying to see that pile of crap on the garage floor after I got it out. So much better looking engine bay too.

I figured while the intake is off, there's no better time. Got a 3/8" in-line hose barb and removed the vacuum "T" off the back of the manifold so only the HVAC system is connected now.

So new knock sensors, new intake gaskets, AIR gone, can't wait to fire it up tonight after I get the intake back on.

Since this effort was partially motivated by chasing a vacuum leak, I found the manifold end of the brake booster vacuum hose was like mush. In fact, as soon as I move the intake forward an inch, it fell off the barb. Pretty likely vacuum leak source there.

Jon
Old 06-22-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000 TAWS6
I said screw it and pulled all that crap out over the past couple of nights. Ordered the block off plates and will deal with the SES light I'll be seeing. Does the SES light come on every engine cycle?
The SES light will stay on forever until you tune the code out.

Reminds me my car still has the stupid AIR pump in it but AIR is already disabled. Gotte get to removing that garbage one of these days.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by udienow
The SES light will stay on forever until you tune the code out.

Reminds me my car still has the stupid AIR pump in it but AIR is already disabled. Gotte get to removing that garbage one of these days.
Oh well, just leave my Predator in the car and delete the code until I can arrange to have it tuned out.

Jon
Old 06-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if emissions are an issue at all. We have the ODBII scan deal in CT and with the AIR system, you can take it all out except the dist. block in the back of the motor. For some reason it needs to still be on there, even with blocked off header fittings.