General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ABS/TCS issues possibly something else?? Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS/TCS issues possibly something else?? Need help.

Hey guys, let me first off say that i searched many times and couldn't find anything that linked to the issues im having. I bought the car last summer, got it for a great deal. The motor, trans and clutch were replaced two years ago and have low miles, and the body only has 112k miles. The ABS inop light, service vehicle light and brake light are on and have been since i bought it. Last summer it started to have very bad hesitation/stumbling under acceleration, so bad that the whole car would stumble violently enough to where it would toss you back and fourth in your seat. I pulled the TCS fuse out and the problem went away for the most part, but still hesitates and stumbles a bit to where you can feel it under load. I am very confused to what the problem is. Also if there is a good rain storm, and it gets rained on for a good amount of time, all of the lights will turn off the dash until the car dries back off?? But other than that, it runs great and pulls very hard once it gets passed the hesitation. Any ideas?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:33 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, I know that when I was having ABS system problems the car would kick in the ASR/TCS from time to time, making the car seem like it was hesitating/shaking like you're describing. I had to clean my rear wheel speed sensors to get rid of the problem. Check your rear wheel speed sensors for dirt or damage. If the front wheel speed sensors are bad then you'll have to replace the hub, I'm afraid. As for your dash problem, not sure about that. Check all of your grounds and battery connection to be sure...
Old 07-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Ok thanks ill look into it. I really dont think its a misfire or anything cause it doesnt spit or sputter and runs good. It just feels like something holds it back for a few seconds sometimes, then it opens up..
Old 07-11-2011, 04:12 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

That feeling of the car being held back is the ASR/TCS kicking in, reducing timing and doing other things to the engine to make sure you can't accelerate to a certain point. When the car thinks you're safe to do so it releases control of the engine back to you. The engine will think your car is losing traction if the wheel speed sensors are giving the computer false readings; the car thinks it's slipping and then chokes off engine performance. And, after driving F bodies for over 10 years I never confirmed it but I'm sure you can even feel the gas pedal pushing back on your foot, too...
Old 07-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Well that makes perfect sense. Thanks a bunch, ill have it checked out by a shop soon and let you know what it is!
Old 07-12-2011, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ the pedal does attempt to push back if its the TCS.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:37 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
^^^ the pedal does attempt to push back if its the TCS.
Creepy sensation. I don't like it, lol...
Old 07-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Lol well the pedal doesnt do that, unless im just use to it by now. The car is going into the shop wednesday night to get scanned..
Old 07-16-2011, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by myk
Creepy sensation. I don't like it, lol...
I hear ya bro, dont like the car telling me how to drive. I push my foot down, i wanna go. Especially in the burnout box at the track, pretty embarasing
Old 07-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Teching In

The only the wrong was a bad ground. Everything works great now!
Old 07-23-2011, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good to hear fella. Sounds like it was an easy fix then.