General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant leaking out of refill cap??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Coolant leaking out of refill cap??

I have no idea how this is happening, but coolant is constantly dripping out of the refill cap.

Even when there is only half a radiator full of coolant, I put the cap back on the refill pipe and while I'm driving around it leaks out of there.
I notice when I park the car, there is coolant all down the refill hose, and cap, and there's usually a few drops still dripping off of it.

This only happens when the car is running, when the car is not on there is no pressure in the system and no leak out of the refill cap.

Is the cap supposed to seal tight? Is that the issue? Or is there something more to this problem?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes,it is supposed to seal, so the boiling point raises. So, your coolant is probably evaporating and steam condenses and comes out as drops. Which by the way, why is your radiator half full?
Old 07-16-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't realize it was half full... I figured it was low because it was dripping out, but surprised how much had disappeared.
I guess I'll have to find a new one of these things... or find a way to get it to seal.