General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't start, multiple times

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start, multiple times

I put the key in, depress the clutch, turn the key and the engine won't turn over. all the lights on the dash go out as well until I put the key back in the "on" position.

Thought this was a problem with the starter solenoid (under the dash, the clutch pushes the solenoid) so I replaced that, but the problem came back after a few days.

If i pump the clutch a few times, the car will start, others it takes multiple turns to start, and sometimes it starts right up first time.

Anyone else have this problem? Solutions?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:10 AM

Default Please help

Having same exact problem.

Turn key, nothing happens. No crank sounds, no engine sounds. I turn key back to off position and release clutch then press clutch and turn key again. Do this 2-20 times (yes, some times 20 times to start).

Bought new batter, replaced starter and got my altanator tested and they said it was fine...

Could it be my Clutch Neutral switch? or maybe relay assembley? IDK what to do...
Old 04-02-2012, 11:40 PM
Teching In

i am having the same problem. i am going to go with the clutch switch first, i will let you all know how it goes after i get the the new one...
Old 04-03-2012, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the wire out of your clutch safety switch. Get a multimeter and check the resistance when the clutch safety switch is depressed. It shouldn't be much when the switch is depressed. If it's an infinite, you need a new switch. Or you can just take some 14 ga wire and use it to bypass the switch at the end of the power wire.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you dont press the clutch in and try to start the car does it do the exact same thing?

neutral safety switch seems to be your culprit