General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LQ4 Swap in a Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 Swap in a Jeep

Hi,
I just joined this forum... figuring you all could help.

I just recently put a 6L LQ4 in my 94YJ replacing the original 2.5L POS. I fired it up on Sat night... it sounded beautiful. I did that several times over the course of the evening. Next morning, I go out and can't even get it started. It turns over just fine. I quickly did a check of fuel pressure (about 55- 60psi). I pulled the plugs... bad carbon fowling. Cleaned em up and started it up again. It started, but I had to work the throttle to keep it alive. Something is different between Sat night and Sun morning.

FYI, right now I have no O2 sensors on the harness... but I'm in open loop on the PCM so I believe it shouldn't matter.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to check next. I have spark, I have fuel, just runs like crap cold. I don't want to let it go too long because it will never reach closed loop given I have no O2 sensors.

I plan on cross checking all the grounds and making sure my harness is tight.

One last question... how do I know the PCM is working properly? I hear the fuel pump come on for about 2 seconds when I turn the key, but I get no codes despite not having O2 sensors in the system. I did have an issue with power to the PCM on Sat night and I ended up toggling it's power lead several times inadvertently.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Moving to GM+R

Quick Reply: LQ4 Swap in a Jeep