General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

radio and dash panel flicking off and on

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default radio and dash panel flicking off and on

This has never happened before but today driving down the road my radio started cutting off and on. Not flickering but off on off on about 6 times. I thought the cd was skipping but then I realized hey dummy I don't have a cd in lol. So I looked at my guages and when it would cut off everything cut off. My rpms would go all the way down and when it came on all my notification lights came on like when you first start the car. The car was still running fine as far as I could tell. It did it 5 or 6 times in a pretty steady pattern. Then everything was fine. I know I need a new battery because if I don't drive it for a couple days I have to jump it. But if I drive it every day it cranks every time. It is an 02 ws6. Any I deas? Some kind of fuse maybe going out? Alternator burning up from always having to charge the battery?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same problem with the family's 07 yukon, it was 2 years back though and we swithced to a XL. If i remember correctly, i unplugged the battery for 10-30 minutes and it fixed it, and after 2-3 months it started doing it again, and i did the same step again and it never did it again.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

Alright it did it again but once on the way home from work this morning but only once. Same thing and the headlights went out and on. Woke up today popped the hood. Inspected all my wires and fuses. Everything checked out. Pulled a couple sensors and pluged them back in. Jiggled wires lol. Everything looked good. Drove to work today and ran fine. Kind of weird. I mean what would make all electronics shut off and on but car kept running fine?
Old 10-15-2011, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Computer is fried. I would try a new battery first. To test if it's your alternator start the car on and unplug the battery, if it keeps running, your altenator is good, if I doesn't, alternator is bad. If it was a fuse, I don't think it would constantly keep going off, it would never work (electronics).

Last edited by vetteboy99; 10-15-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:15 AM
Staging Lane

Id check out your ignition switch... or possibly alternator problem..