General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car Will Not Turnover!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Car Will Not Turnover!!!

My car will not turnover. The relays click and that is all. It is not VATS because I got it deleted. The relays are new and I'm about to go get the starter tested. What else could it be??

It use to only do it every so often. Once a month or two and I would just turn the key a few times then it would turn over. Then it got to where it would do it after it was ran hard and I would have to turn it for 5 minutes till it turned over. Now it just wont crank what so ever. The dash lights come on then go off including security. The only lights that stay on are ABS INOP, Brake, Service engine, and service engine soon.

Last edited by mesterious; 11-19-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Ok.. well I got my starter tested and it passed but the part of the test that tested to solenoid said N/A. Could the Solenoid be the problem?
Old 11-19-2011, 04:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it could be the solenoid or Starter relay? Check to see if you are getting voltage to the starter then across the starter with the key in the start position. I would use a simple 12v test light to do this, if you are not getting voltage to the starter check the relay, if you are getting voltage to but not across the starter it's prob. the solenoid. make sure your battery is good, a dead or shorted cell can show good and be bad! And a clicking relay is not always a good relay.

Last edited by Anthony Williams; 11-19-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Anthony Williams
Yes it could be the solenoid or Starter relay? Check to see if you are getting voltage to the starter then across the starter with the key in the start position. I would use a simple 12v test light to do this, if you are not getting voltage to the starter check the relay, if you are getting voltage to but not across the starter it's prob. the solenoid. make sure your battery is good, a dead or shorted cell can show good and be bad! And a clicking relay is not always a good relay.
Thanks man! I will be having a buddy checking it tomorrow. I will post what is found wrong.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Well it took a few more days then planned haha. My buddy was pretty busy this week so I called and asked him a few questions. I went ahead and tried the test light and there it was, the power was definitely getting to that purple wire (whatever that means haha). Changed the starter and now it cranks every time without flaw. Thanks Anthony!
Old 11-24-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No Prob, Welcome back on the road.