General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Leak (do I need a cooler?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Steering Leak (do I need a cooler?)

Car is a '99 Camaro w/ an '01 LS1 with intake, exhaust, and dyno tune and some other stuff that I don't think would have any relation to a power steering problem.

So this is the 2nd power steering res I've had (first one had a crack in it and was slowly leaking) since I did my LS1 swap about 1 1/2 years ago. Currently, my reseviour is leaking pretty badly and it whines like I had a supercharger after slow corners when the motor is cold. As it heats up the whine (for the most part) goes away, but I can still feel a bit of vibration is the steering wheel. It's not leaking out of the cap, that's basically dry. There does appear to be some leaking at the bottom of the reseviour, but it doesn't have a crack in it and the hose is nice and tight.

So my question is, could this be from overheating? The fact that its leaking from the bottom, does that delete the possibility of it being an overheating problem?
Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

No, if it was overheating, it would come out of the cap.

You may have bad seals on the pump or the seal between the reservoir and pump may be bad and leaking.

Did you just change the res and not the pump? If that's the case, I'll bet the leak is a reservoir to pump sealing issue and the pump (re: the pump noise) is just starting to show its age or has been run dry too many times.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Yep, just buy a Turn One PS unit and be done.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok this sounds like some good info.

Thanks for the help!