General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Torque arm clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque arm clunk?

Hey there.

I replaced my slave cylinder (had to pull the trans out obviously) a few months ago, and it seems that ever since then, I've had a clunk coming from the bottom of my car when I put it in first and come to a stop. It's not very loud but I can feel it a little bit..

I read up on torque arms and I noticed for the aftermarket ones you are supposed to not torque them down extremely hard so they can swivel? I don't know if mine is stock or not, but does this hold true for the stock one as well? I am thinking it may have been tightened too much and that's why i'm getting that sound? I did change my trans mount which was torn previously, so the other thing it could be are the engine mounts, but i'm not sure.

Please give me some input
Old 12-29-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i am in the middle of putting a ES poly mount in the TQ arm bushing.......the old rubber was worn split and trash !!!!! rubber just cant last 12 yrs
Old 12-30-2012, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say that you should check your trans mount and your torque arm mount to make sure they aren't broken.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Okay, I changed the trans mount and re checked it after, so I think it's good. The torque arm mount meaning the one that connects to the exhaust? Or where is it Are the mount and bushing the same thing? If they aren't where are each located? I'm ready to get rid of this noise/clunk once and for all.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the Torque arm bushing is located at the back of the transmission under the driver seat. It is rubber and connects the torque arm to the tail shaft of the trans. Grab the arm and see it you can move it. It should not move at all.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1121
the Torque arm bushing is located at the back of the transmission under the driver seat. It is rubber and connects the torque arm to the tail shaft of the trans. Grab the arm and see it you can move it. It should not move at all.
I will be looking at that today. I tried to find the replacement part on Rockauto for the bushing, however, couldn't find it. Any suggestions where to get this bushing if in fact I need it?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Launching!

I can move it slightly. I looked at it and don't see any cracks or tears but definitely will be changing it.

Quick Reply: Torque arm clunk?