General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replaced O2, now it runs...worse?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Replaced O2, now it runs...worse?

Hello,
8 months ago I replaced my o2 sensors with Denso Corvette rears. Shortly after I had my car retuned and the tuner said that my passanger side seemed lazy and wasn't switching as well as it should. 8 months later the passanger o2 throws an SES light. I order another Denso Corvette rear o2 and replace it. I started the car up and it idled ok, but if you give it a little gas it stutters pretty good. I unhooked the battery for 30 min to try to reset the PCM, but no luck its still stuttering and smelling very rich. Any ideas?
Old 01-23-2013, 06:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

retune maybe, due to the fact that you just said the tuner said "that your passanger side seemed lazy and wasn't switching as well as it should". so now that it is switching it differs.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You may need to take the car for a long drive so the PCM can "re-learn" the sensors. I forget what the exact parameters are, but I think you need to take it above 35mph for a while.

Have you used any RTV on the engine lately?
Old 01-23-2013, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

You know you are right. I was thinking about this on the way to work today that 8 months ago I changed my plugs/wires along with the o2's...When I fired it up I had a stutter then, too. Checked plugs, wires, cleaned MAF, started it again and still had a slight stutter. I drove it a mile down the road to have it scanned and by the time I got there the stutter was gone and no codes. Now, since I just changed an o2 sensor this time and I'm getting a stutter immediately afterwards, it makes since the pcm just has to recalibrate itself. I'll drive it around the block when I get home and see how it does.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

I drive it a bit and everything cleared up. It just needed recalibrating. Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Replaced O2, now it runs...worse?