General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

loud clicking / gear noise from rear end.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default loud clicking / gear noise from rear end.

Well I haven’t been on here in a long time! I hope that you all can give me some guidance.

I was driving to work today in slow traffic just rolling along. I shifted in to third and let the clutch out, upon engaging the clutch I heard a very loud BANG and the car shuttered abruptly so I instantly disengaged the clutch.
It was almost as if the shifter was not fully engaged in third and when I let the clutch out it abruptly jolted the car and kicked the shifter back in to neutral.

So here is the problem.

When I am driving now and the drive train is NOT under load I hear a loud clicking / gear noise in the rear end . The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like a differential running without any oil in it you can hear the pinion and ring gears meshing (metal on metal type of clicking).
There are no vibrations and it seems to shift / drive fine but the noise sounds horrible and something is clearly very wrong.

Any thoughts on what has broken?

I am at work now I cannot decide if I should try to drive the 20 miles home or get it towed.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like something with the pinion. When the pinion nut backs out, or is not torqued properly, you get a hellacious noise when letting off the gas and it goes away when you get on the gas. Can't think of what could have broke but still allow you to drive it. Sounds bad, though

Quick Reply: loud clicking / gear noise from rear end.