General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaking hose??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking hose??

Does anyone know what hose this is? The boot in the picture is over the tie rod on the left front wheel. The hose has got a leak, anyone know how difficult it is to replace? I would imagine the hose has to do with the power steering, because i just had to replace the fluid.
Attached Thumbnails Leaking hose??-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 04-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mhugney
Does anyone know what hose this is? The boot in the picture is over the tie rod on the left front wheel. The hose has got a leak, anyone know how difficult it is to replace? I would imagine the hose has to do with the power steering, because i just had to replace the fluid.
By the way, the car is a 2000 camaro V6
Old 04-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Trace the hose. If it has the same rubber-to-metal connector on the end that hooks up to the pump, its the pressure hose. EVERY parts store sells them for your car.

So, its easy to get. Its a PITA to replace. It will make a mess and you will get Power Steering Fluid all over the place your first time. There's no drain for the fluid, so its all going to come out when you disconnect the hose.

I'd suggest getting an original Helm factory service manual or even one of the Haynes manuals to help you through it your first time. Other than making a mess, its pretty much just turning a wrench:

- Disconnect hose from rack and drain
- Disconnect hose from pump (You may have to remove the PS Pulley and belts to do this. If so, you will need a special pulley remover.)
- Be sure that your new hose has rubber washers properly installed on the ends and hook it up.
- Fill with PS fluid and bleed the system. (I like to put the car up on stands and turn the wheels side to side.)
- Add fluid until the air is bled out and the reservoir is no longer foamy.

BTW - Its going to make a mess.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
Trace the hose. If it has the same rubber-to-metal connector on the end that hooks up to the pump, its the pressure hose. EVERY parts store sells them for your car.

So, its easy to get. Its a PITA to replace. It will make a mess and you will get Power Steering Fluid all over the place your first time. There's no drain for the fluid, so its all going to come out when you disconnect the hose.

I'd suggest getting an original Helm factory service manual or even one of the Haynes manuals to help you through it your first time. Other than making a mess, its pretty much just turning a wrench:

- Disconnect hose from rack and drain
- Disconnect hose from pump (You may have to remove the PS Pulley and belts to do this. If so, you will need a special pulley remover.)
- Be sure that your new hose has rubber washers properly installed on the ends and hook it up.
- Fill with PS fluid and bleed the system. (I like to put the car up on stands and turn the wheels side to side.)
- Add fluid until the air is bled out and the reservoir is no longer foamy.

BTW - Its going to make a mess.
Yeah it's the pressure hose, and I'm going to order it off amazon and replace it myself. What are the manuals you mentioned and where can I get one? And yeah from what I've seen the fluid goes everywhere
Old 04-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If you really want to get in to working on the car, the official GM Factory Service Manuals (they come in a 3 volume set for this car) can be purchased through the printer, Helm, Inc.: http://www.helminc.com/helm/welcome_...asp?Style=helm

You may be able to find these used on eBay for less money. There were some great deals when all the dealerships were closing but they still pop up from time to time.

If you go for a manual available in a local parts store, it will help with common things like you are doing now, but they don't cover every possible repair like the factory ones do.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:07 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's really a rather straight-forward job. Just have a drip pan or a bunch of cardboard and towels under the car to catch all of the fluid that runs out.

The most "difficult" part is getting the hose from the reservoir. I was able to get the nut loose with a wrench. Some people just cut the hose so they can get a socket over it. It's very easy to get it off the rack. Just spray some brakleen on it to clean all the grime and stuff.

Quick Reply: Leaking hose??