General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Where should I get an Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where should I get an Alternator?

Had a bad power steering leak and now my alternator does not charge. Replacing the power steering hose now, just not sure where i should get a alternator. I might as well get the truck alternator. Where did you get yours? Havent heard good things of parts store reman's. I called around the local junkyards to find a truck alternator no luck. Even with a parts store warranty I have read that you would just be pulling them out every so often because they dont last that long.

Would a junkyard truck alternator last longer than a lets say a new napa one?
Main reason is i really dont want to mess with it again lol let me know what you guys are using or recommend.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you check to see if you accidentally knocked the exciter wire off while fixing the hose....?

Also, if its not charging because power steering fluid spilled all over it......clean it. Get a can of SeaFoam spray and spray half the can all over the alternator, all the way around it. Let it sit and soak for about 20 min.....then spray the other half of the can all over it and let it soak again.
Then hose it off real good with hose water. See if that gets it charging again.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I only use GM or Powermaster. I have not been happy with the performance (or longevity) of the cheap parts store rebuilds. Another great option is a local rebuilder (if you know of one).
Old 06-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^
Yea, you just never know. My factory alternator went out maybe 7 years after I bought my car new in 1998. Then I bought a PepBoys alternator that came with a Lifetime warranty for about $90.00. It lasted like 4 years. I got a free one on warranty exchange and put it in and it's been fine for about 4 years now. Now it's on my new 390ci and kicking out the power like a champ.

I figure, it takes me about 20 minutes to swap an alternator. I'm glad to do a swap every 4 years for free......I have a Lifetime of free alternators.

And with my 427ci, at night with the A/C on MAX and my 1,000 watt amp and 12" woofer kicking........it maintains power perfectly without even a hint of losing any power.

Quick Reply: Where should I get an Alternator?