General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need Help Identifying Part - Headlight Motor Connector

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Identifying Part - Headlight Motor Connector

Recently my passenger side headlight stopped going up and down in my firebird. I unplugged the headlight connector and there was moisture inside and corrosion. I cleaned it the best I could but the headlight still won't go up and down.

There is however a pin socket that may be too corroded and need replacing. What is the part name, and where/how could I replace it? To be more specific, it is not the connector attached to the headlight motor, but the connector that the motor would connect to.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The new terminals are a few cents, can be looked up in the Delphi Connector Catalog, and can be purchased from Mouser.

The catch is that you need a special crimper, which will run you $100-175. If you don't want to get in to it too deep, any GM dealer will have the terminal repair kit, with the pins and crimpers. Do you have any friends who work at a dealer?
Old 07-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
The new terminals are a few cents, can be looked up in the Delphi Connector Catalog, and can be purchased from Mouser.

The catch is that you need a special crimper, which will run you $100-175. If you don't want to get in to it too deep, any GM dealer will have the terminal repair kit, with the pins and crimpers. Do you have any friends who work at a dealer?
Ahh I see, thank you very much. That is both good and bad news lol. Sadly I don't have any buddies working at the dealership.

How much you think the dealership or any shop with the crimper would charge me to get it fixed? If the cost of parts and labor is under the price of the crimper, might as well get it done at a shop.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:05 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSocks
How much you think the dealership or any shop with the crimper would charge me to get it fixed? If the cost of parts and labor is under the price of the crimper, might as well get it done at a shop.
I'd call them up and tell them that you just need one terminal replaced on a harness and see what they say. Electrical time can be $150+ an hour but they may even do it for free.

You might also try taking the pin out of the connector body and see if you can clean it better that way. Just remove the terminal lock from the body and then you should be able to release the terminal tang with a papercip and then pull it out.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
I'd call them up and tell them that you just need one terminal replaced on a harness and see what they say. Electrical time can be $150+ an hour but they may even do it for free.

You might also try taking the pin out of the connector body and see if you can clean it better that way. Just remove the terminal lock from the body and then you should be able to release the terminal tang with a papercip and then pull it out.
Thanks, I'll try your suggestion and attempt to clean them again, and if that doesn't work, I'll give the dealership a call tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Need Help Identifying Part - Headlight Motor Connector