General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

No Hazard/Turn Signals/Brake Lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Hazard/Turn Signals/Brake Lights

As the title states, what would go bad that would cause the loss of all 3?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dumb question, but have you checked all your fuses on the side of the dash? sometimes i know if you have a bulb out it will not let the flashers flash...it will be solid on your dash....but that shouldnt affect all 3 at the same time.

but start with the fuses...then check your bulbs.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BLKWS6
dumb question, but have you checked all your fuses on the side of the dash? sometimes i know if you have a bulb out it will not let the flashers flash...it will be solid on your dash....but that shouldnt affect all 3 at the same time.

but start with the fuses...then check your bulbs.
The turn signal is not solid in the cluster. When i try to turn the signal on left or right, it does nothing.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Well i would just start with those places. Mine does the same thing if a bulb is out. sometimes it will light up. sometimes it wont. just depends on the cycle it seems sometimes or what bulb is actually out. it shouldnt be that way...but things happen.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:37 AM
11 Second Club

I'm having the same problem right now myself. The other night it did it and I started checking fuses and all were good. So I tapped on the light switch and they came on so after about a week, it happened again. Tapping doesn't work now and all fuses are still good. Bought a new switch and that didn't fix it. Wondering if it's the little dial next to it now?

I'll be sure to update if I find the cause. Please do the same cause I need this thing on the road again soon.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check your grounds?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:32 AM
11 Second Club

Not sure if you found your problem but, mine was in what looked like a junction block under the dash.

Pull the bottom piece under the steering column and you can see it bewtween the fuse block and steering column. I think I loosened mine up while running some wires or installing my Tick Master. Either way it didn't flicker or give me any more problems for a 20 mile trip.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:56 PM

I had the exact problem and I can provide a (my) fix and a possible root cause:

I had a family member who is painfully far more automotive electric savvy than I am review the F-Body electrical schematics and test the wiring and fuses with a multi-meter. No blown fuses, no worn or disconnected wires were found. We also disconnected the after-market radio to look for faulty wiring. Nothing was found.

The schematic showed that "orange" feeds the headlight switch with power and the "brown" feeds the tail lights. No power was found coming from the brown wire after testing.

Solution: "Jump" the headlight switch: Bridge the RED power wire to the brown wire at the headlight switch - by shoving another 3 inch electrical wire into the respective slots at the back of the headlight switch - providing adequate power to the tail lights. Dash, hazard, and daylight running lights came back with no issues.

Possible root cause: A bad Body Control Modual -or- a problem with the factory alarm. Both are on the same circuit and may be the culprit causing a short to the tail lights. I won't know until I'm ready to pay the dealer 65 dollars an hour to put the BCM on the proper meter to test. In the meantime, all is well.

Please note, the headlight switch was exchanged 1st. After confirming that a new headlight switch didn't fix the problem, I ventured to guess that the brake switch was bad. No need to travel down that road.

Disclaimer: I would STRONGLY suggest that the headlight, dash, taillight, schematic for your F-body is consulted and a multi-meter is used to test the power coming from the wires of your headlight switch BEFORE applying this fix to confirm.

I hope this helps others. (I own a 1999 Camaro SS, 114,000 miles, all pretty much stock, original owner.)

Quick Reply: No Hazard/Turn Signals/Brake Lights