Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbocharger recommendations for my C5 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old Today, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Turbocharger recommendations for my C5 Corvette

I'm turbocharging my 2002 Corvette and I'm looking to make 450 on low boost and 550 on high boost. I'm going pretty conservative because it's my daily and I'm spirited driving on backroads and the interstate, not drag racing. I'm looking to make between 5-8 psi or whatever it takes to meet my goals and my priority is low lag (going to be using an AEM electronic boost controller. Would a Borg S300 66/73 be a good match for these goals? If not, what would you recommend.

Last edited by Cripwalker; Today at 11:09 PM.
Old Today, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 338 Posts

I am going to do something I never do, and suggest you would be better off with an NA setup. Your stated goals for usage and power level just don't make much sense to turbo. You will be adding significant weight to the car, but not making enough extra power to overcome the disadvantages of doing so. If you had not specifically stated road race and autocross ,my opinion would be entirely different.
Old Today, 11:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see where you're coming from and I had considered an N/A build originally but let me explain why I'm going with a turbo. First is cost: I could either spend three grand on heads, cam, intake, headers, etc and get to the 400-450 hp range or I could spend the same money building a turbo kit and achieve the same power with the option to turn it up to 550+ when I'm racing somebody or want to do pulls. Second is drivability and fuel efficiency. I do lots of city driving as well as long road trips and as I'm sure you know when cruising, a turbo doesn't have much effect on drivability and fuel economy while a big cam certainly would. Third, I just love the idea of a turbo and making big turbo noises and all that.

I understand your concerns with a turbo for road racing and autocross applications but you can disregard these points as they make up an incredibly small percentage of my actual driving. I used road racing and autocross as examples as I was more trying to explain that maximum horsepower is not my goal and I'm looking for a smaller turbo that will spool quicker lower in the rpm range. I do lots of spirited driving on backroads and the interstate but not so much digs from a red light so I equated it to road racing vs drag racing however I've edited my post to make it more clear. I appreciate your response and if you know any turbos that fit my criteria let me know

Quick Reply: Turbocharger recommendations for my C5 Corvette