General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC Alignment - Loud Squealing

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC Alignment - Loud Squealing

Hey guys so I recently been trying to fix an anoying squeal...thought I had it fixed but it's back. I've had all of the tensioner/idler pulleys replaced which quieted the engine for a while but it eventually squealed again. I think there may have been multiple squeals before but now there is just 1.

I was getting really sick of the squealing noise so then I tried replacing all of the belts: serpentine+AC. I'm pretty sure it's in the AC pulley system because before I did the belt replacement it quit squealing when I sprayed water in that area. It was quiet for about a week after the belt replacement but I went on a date with a girl last night and of course it starts squealing extremely loud...

From what I've read, if spraying water on the belt/pulley quiets the squeal then it's an alignment issue. So my question is, can the AC pulley system be aligned? This is really the only thing I can think of that could be the problem unless a pulley went bad for the second time? I tried spinning the AC idler/tensioner pulleys by hand and they didn't seem to have any roughness to them.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What brand of replacement belts did you use? I had a squeal issue a few months ago, read many posts about the belt being the cause. People seem to have noise problems with almost all replacements except Gatorback. I put a set on mine and shes been nice and quiet since.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:33 PM
Launching!

The belts that were previously on it and the new ones were Napa...micron brand I think. I can check tomorrow but I'm pretty sure that was it. I believe when I bought the car about 6 months ago it had all brand new belts because the new and old belts looked identical. If you really think changing the belts will help ill certainly give it a try.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Just wanted to go ahead and post the solution to this problem. Replacing the AC belt system tensioner fixed my problem. It was not pulley related but rather the tensioner itself, the spring was weak and I think that was letting the belt go out of alignment.

Quick Reply: AC Alignment - Loud Squealing