General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

tough steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 12:08 PM
jig
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default tough steering

hey everyone, i recently bought a trans am and its the toughest steering vehicle ive driven...is there a solution to making it steer easier? or is it something i just have to put up with?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked to see if it was converted to a manual steering rack? If not, I would look into PS pump issues.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

when i bought mine the Power steering pump was shot, but it didn't leak or make noise, it just didn't do its job. Replaced it with one from Autozone about 5 years ago and it is doing great till this day. Also try to avoid fluid with Stop Leak in it, it just makes steering effort harder cause of the additives.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Must have issues as these cars steer with one finger from the factory. I added heavier fluid to stiffen my steering a bit.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:13 PM
jig
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Decadence75
Have you checked to see if it was converted to a manual steering rack? If not, I would look into PS pump issues.
no i didnt check that..i will when i get time tomorrow and if it isnt i will just end up buying a new one
Old 10-08-2013, 09:17 PM
jig
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
when i bought mine the Power steering pump was shot, but it didn't leak or make noise, it just didn't do its job. Replaced it with one from Autozone about 5 years ago and it is doing great till this day. Also try to avoid fluid with Stop Leak in it, it just makes steering effort harder cause of the additives.
i will most likely be buying a new one, the last owner never said anything about a manual rack..im used to being able to turn corners without a problem but with this i have to keep a fairly good hold on the steering wheel
Old 10-09-2013, 11:02 PM
jig
Staging Lane

dad and brother think that it steers harder because of the wider tires up front they are 245s...would that have much affect on steering??
Old 10-09-2013, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jig
dad and brother think that it steers harder because of the wider tires up front they are 245s...would that have much affect on steering??
Nope. I run 245/40R17 on 17x9.5 wheels up front and it steers the same as when it was 16x8 wheels
Old 10-10-2013, 09:33 AM
jig
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Decadence75
Nope. I run 245/40R17 on 17x9.5 wheels up front and it steers the same as when it was 16x8 wheels
so since i dont have a manual steering rack and the tires arnt the problem it has to be the power steering pump correct?
Old 10-10-2013, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jig
so since i dont have a manual steering rack and the tires arnt the problem it has to be the power steering pump correct?
Since they are so cheap, and you dont know if it was ever replaced i would just go ahead and change it. Also i would recommend doing the power steering pump hoses as well while you are at it. They tend to seep fluid after 10+ years, and it would suck to have to change them after you put new fluid in them.

Don't forget to bleed the power steering after you fill it. It is actually really easy, just fill it till the reservoir is full, ensure the front wheels are in the air on jack stands, and then start the car. Make a few lock to lock turns on the steering wheel, then check the level and refill as necessary. After the fluid stops going down, do 20 more lock to lock turns with the wheels in there air to ensure all air is out of the power steering system. Then set the wheels on the ground and do 20 more lock to lock turns, now you are ready for the road. Give it a good heat cycle, park it, and you should have years of worry free steering.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trans_am7935
Since they are so cheap, and you dont know if it was ever replaced i would just go ahead and change it.
Agreed. Rebuilt racks are inexpensive. I replaced mine a few weeks ago because of a leak. It's an easy job, but be prepared to cut one of the two bolts that holds the rack. You can't get the driver's side bolt out whole unless you jack up the motor about 5 inches since it is inserted from the top. If you get under the car you'll see what I mean.

Also, I thought my steering was tight until I replaced the rack. Then realized it needed replacing anyway... Much improved!

Quick Reply: tough steering