General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

alternator removal/installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator removal/installation

the voltage regulator in my alternator went bad so i bought a high output one. going to replace it tonight. any tips on removing the stock one and installing the new one? i have heard the stock one is kind of tough to yank out once all the bolts are loose any tricks to getting it out easily? Thanks in advance
Old 11-11-2013, 11:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

The actual removal isn't so hard, but you have to be careful of the little red exciter wire on the top of the alternator case. It's very easy to accidently yank it out of the connector if you don't know that it's there, or if you let the alternator drop down too far during removal prior to disconnecting that wire.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by baytrophstar
the voltage regulator in my alternator went bad so i bought a high output one. going to replace it tonight. any tips on removing the stock one and installing the new one? i have heard the stock one is kind of tough to yank out once all the bolts are loose any tricks to getting it out easily? Thanks in advance
I've only done the alternator twice but I remember it was cake.......reach down and unplug the exciter wire and tape it to something out of the way.....

Take the bolts out of the alternator. Then smack it with a hammer until it breaks free of the mounts. Sometimes they just get stuck in there. When it breaks free just move it forward and tumble it around until it falls down. You have to move it forward of the sway bar then drop it down and out......as I remember it.

Should only take you 15 minutes to swap it out. Pretty easy.

Quick Reply: alternator removal/installation