General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Exhaust Leak and P0171

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust Leak and P0171

Vehicle: 2000 Camaro Z28 (PRC 2.5 Heads, MS3 Cam, TSP Headers, Stock Intake, Stock Injectors, Stock O2 sensors)

I have had an exhaust leak for the past few months. The leak is so bad that I have to turn off the air blower at idle otherwise the cabin is filled with exhaust smells. The system is currently throwing code P0171. I had been able to see carbon deposits on the head coming from cylinders 3 and 5. Re-tightening the header did not resolve the issue. I had assumed that the header had warped and was leaking slowly.

I picked up a new set of TSP 1 3/4" ceramic coated headers to replace my old, rusted Pacesetters. When I took the Pacesetters off I noticed very large carbon deposits inside the header. After installing them, the car ran great and I was unable to notice a leak at idle for a few days. It is now very noticeable again and I am at a loss. I checked the surfaces around where the headers meet the heads and have noticed no new carbon deposits.

I suppose the heads themselves could be warped. The car hasn't been ran hard in years. I use it as a daily driver. I performed a heads/cam swap about 4 years ago.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if more information is necessary.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:53 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to guess P0171 is being thrown due to the exhaust leak -- but you gotta figure out where that leak is!
Old 01-16-2014, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of gaskets and did you clean the area where the header flange seats?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Leak and P0171