General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

P0102 & ENG SEN blown fuse

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation P0102 & ENG SEN blown fuse

Figured I would start a thread and see if anyone had any insight. This has been an ongoing issue for awhile, and I have not yet been able to track down the problem. It didn't seem to cause a major issue with everyday driving when I was mostly stock, but now that I have had the cam/headers installed, I'd like to clear this up so the car doesn't run too rich. I keep getting code P0102 and a blown ENG SEN. I have an extra MAF, so I swapped it and put a new fuse in. Drove it gently about 20 or so miles and no code returned. I got on it a bit, and felt a bit of hesitation. Checked for the code and sure enough, there it was. So it seems that it is blowing the fuse under heavier than normal load, and it is definitely a significant overload...the fuse is blown hard, not just a filament break. Perhaps its a vacuum issue, or maybe unmetered air? The 02's are brand new, just changed with the header install. I believe the only other thing on the ENG SEN circuit is the speed sensor in the rear end (non traction control car). Any insight or suggestions?
Old 03-16-2014, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Im gonna say you have a short to ground on that circuit. There are several sensors on that fuse, i cant remember all of them without looking at a diagram. But Im pretty sure the o2 and maf are on there. Check the wiring on the o2 sensors, there may be a wire that burnt through on the exhaust and is intermittently grounding.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I might buy one of those simple short finders and see if it will help me locate the short in the loom. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was blowing engine sensor fuses it was from the starter power wire arching over onto the header. If the header is close to it wrap the wire end in electrical tape.

Was an odd issue only occurred on my 1998 m6 car with Mac headers, all of my other vehicles never had the starter wire anywhere near the headers

But like said above most common reason is melted 02 sensor wires

Quick Reply: P0102 & ENG SEN blown fuse