General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car idles high and sometimes very low at times....

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car idles high and sometimes very low at times....

Hey guys,

I have a 2000 T/A WS6 that's got about 120k miles on it. I was driving yesterday and all of a sudden my dash lights and radio all cut out then came on again (the car didn't die). I also have noticed that my car intermittently idles a little high, like maybe around 1100 rpms and then sometimes when I start the car after I've been driving it awhile it will idle pretty low. After doing some research here I'm thinking it can be many things like a bad/dirty IAT sensor or dirty MAF? Is my alternator maybe going bad as well from my dash lights cutting out like that?
Old 06-07-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Could be throttle position sensor or like you said a dirty maf
Old 06-07-2014, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Disconnect and reconnect everything and also remove thr MAF and check it out. If it is dirty, clean it up and see how it does. I would rule that out first.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

Vacuum leaks, especially IF you still have a working EGR system (where it goes into the top of the intake), can also cause this, even without throwing a code, or pending code.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

I had a similar problem myself. Occasionally the car, when in gear and moving forward, would act as though the cruise control was on. It was difficult to get the car to idle down until the forward motion of the car stopped(no idea why). My fix, and i need to get some more miles on the car to find out if it's 100%, was to pull the MAF, TB, and such out of the car, clean the MAF, pull the IAC and clean it, then reassemble. As I said earlier, gonna take a few drives in it and see if it clears it up, but I honestly think that was all it took to fix it!
Old 06-12-2014, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Well... Thought it was fixed, guess I was wrong... I've noticed one thing that seems to help the problem though. After i start the car, if i let it sit and idle for 20-30 seconds and let the idle drop down to where it 'should' be it seems to not do it nearly as bad
Old 06-13-2014, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

Update: I checked my car out a few days ago and found out my positive battery cable bolt was pretty loose. I had my battery and alternator checked anyway to see if they were bad but they both checked out fine. Ever since I had my sub and amp put in a few years ago the stereo company that put it in for me used a crappy positive cable extension bolt, I replaced that with a new one from Oreilly that was a little longer. (I think that's what caused my dash lights and radio to all cut out so that seemed to fix that problem).

As for the intermittent idling, today I cleaned my MAF and all the sensors around it and also cleaned the throttle body. Fired the engine up right after and everything ran smoothly, took it for a test drive and it ran good. Hopefully that fixed it...I will update if anything else happens but I think that fixed my issues. dailydriver: I will check the vacuum leaks if it happens again because yes, I still have the crappy EGR system functioning on it. Thank you to all that chimed in and good luck Blue99Firebird on yours...

Quick Reply: Car idles high and sometimes very low at times....