General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Return Line & Starter Cable

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Power Steering Return Line & Starter Cable

I am able to find the pressure line at most auto parts stores but noone has a listing for the return line. When I checked, both lines are connected to the steering rack with a metal tube that screws in so I dont think either of them are generic hoses, but am I wrong? Where can I get the return hose?

Also, my alternator cable is broke, I want to replace the entire positive terminal post. I see where the cable seems to go to the starter but I cant really tell how it's connected. How difficult is it to get the starter cable off the starter?
Old 03-01-2015, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try rock auto for the return hose? I just made my own pressure and return lines. I was able to route them out of the way for the turbo kit. For the alt. its a bit of a pain getting the starter off to be able to get the cable off. Also there is one cable from the neg. side that's in the same bundle as the pos. and it goes to the engine ground above the starter. For the cable I just installed a big 3 kit. So I have the stock pos. and neg. cables if your are interested.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by red_00z28
Try rock auto for the return hose? I just made my own pressure and return lines. I was able to route them out of the way for the turbo kit. For the alt. its a bit of a pain getting the starter off to be able to get the cable off. Also there is one cable from the neg. side that's in the same bundle as the pos. and it goes to the engine ground above the starter. For the cable I just installed a big 3 kit. So I have the stock pos. and neg. cables if your are interested.
eeek, the starter has to come off to get that cable off? If I pull the starter I'm replacing the unit. I'm avoiding this at all costs though. The reason the alternator cable is broke is because it siezed to my dead alternator and when I tried to pull it off the alternator, my alternator literally fell to pieces so I have to cut the cable off but I cut it RIGHT at the connector. Would I be good at just recrimping a new connector to that cable? or even just running a new cable to the positive battery post and cutting open that red shielding and trying to connect it there? or will that not work?

For the PS lines, Rockauto didnt have the return line. I checked there aswell. I have heard people modifying V6 lines to work. I will use that as a last resort...

When you fabbed your own PS lines were you able to clear the alternator without issues? also can you give me the parts list you used? any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
eeek, the starter has to come off to get that cable off? If I pull the starter I'm replacing the unit. I'm avoiding this at all costs though. The reason the alternator cable is broke is because it siezed to my dead alternator and when I tried to pull it off the alternator, my alternator literally fell to pieces so I have to cut the cable off but I cut it RIGHT at the connector. Would I be good at just recrimping a new connector to that cable? or even just running a new cable to the positive battery post and cutting open that red shielding and trying to connect it there? or will that not work? For the PS lines, Rockauto didnt have the return line. I checked there aswell. I have heard people modifying V6 lines to work. I will use that as a last resort... When you fabbed your own PS lines were you able to clear the alternator without issues? also can you give me the parts list you used? any help would be appreciated.
unless you can finagle a wrench in there to get the nut off the starter lug. If you have enough slack in the cable you could crimp on another end. The PS lines cleared and I have a 145 amp truck alt. I just got some Russell power steering hose and there fittings. Can't remember what sizes exactly but if you want pm me and I will look up the exact fittings.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

I have heard people modifying V6 lines to work. I will use that as a last resort...
That line is just a low pressure line, so you can replace the rubber using this method: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-fix-pics.html

The next time I replace my hoses, this is what I will be dong. I purchased the GM return hose years ago and it was a rip-off at $60.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
That line is just a low pressure line, so you can replace the rubber using this method: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-fix-pics.html

The next time I replace my hoses, this is what I will be dong. I purchased the GM return hose years ago and it was a rip-off at $60.
Looks nifty but I dont have a dremel tool.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Well, you can buy one for far less than a new return hose.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
Well, you can buy one for far less than a new return hose.
Probably wouldn't hurt to have one come to think of it... I'll grab one and keep this route in mind. Would definitely help for the heater hoses... gives me ideas of braided heater hoses.

I was also thinking of using this kit..
http://vtsql.gkvbf.servertrust.com/p...it-p/cbr45.htm
It's pricey but Im thinking it would pretty much eliminate any hose related leaks for the remaining life of the car. I contacted the vendor and they state it will work on a stock location alternator / PS pump.

Speaking of Alternator I am highly tempted to dump my current Duralast gold alternator and grab a 145 amp one from Napa...thing is my current alternator Im getting is a free replacement. The 145 Amp Alt, which vehicle and year do you request it from?
Old 03-03-2015, 09:56 AM
Save the manuals!

It's pricey but Im thinking it would pretty much eliminate any hose related leaks for the remaining life of the car.
Those hoses leak just like any other hose. They still have the same clamp and rubber core as any other hose. The difference is they have a suit of armor covering them. Unless you are putting them in to dress up the car or if it will see rough duty/racing where hose abrasion is an issue, I'm not sure if you'd really get any incremental value out of them.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Return Line & Starter Cable