General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering has a lot of play after bleeding.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering has a lot of play after bleeding.

I recently did a H/C swap on my car and had all of the pwr steering out except for rack. When I got everything back together I bled the system and it had some extra slop in than it did before. So I bled it again and it's still there. Any ideas what may be wrong? There isn't any extra noise coming from the pump.
I will admit when I started the car for the first time I forgot to fill the system up and it ran for about a minute or two before I shut it off and filled it. Could that have caused something to effect this?
Old 03-20-2015, 09:52 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Have you given it a rest to let the air work its way out of the system? Did you put the front end on jacks and move the steering side to side to work out any air?
Old 03-20-2015, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

Well the car sat for a week after noticing it, once I got time I lifted the front end and bled it that way as well and it didn't seem to change. I haven't had an opportunity to mess with it for a while now because I'm waiting on the new rear to come in and get it on the ground
Old 04-30-2015, 01:09 PM
10 Second Club

I figured since I finally got this figured out I would go ahead and update just in case someone else had this problem. After searching through a bunch of threads I found someone suggest this same fix and it worked!
Whenever I reinstalled the steering arm the lower bolt that secures the arm to the rack wasn't tight enough. It was tight but still allowed for some slop. So I cranked it down as far as it would go and BOOM! Fixed the problem. It was a super easy fix so I was happy. So if you have that issue check that before throwing parts at it.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:14 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Thanks for posting back. Very interesting.

Quick Reply: Power Steering has a lot of play after bleeding.