General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

acts like it's running out of gas but it's not. what's up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default acts like it's running out of gas but it's not. what's up?

1998 z28. Sometimes it seems like it is running out of gas. I give it gas and it hesitates until it just shuts off. I turn the switch a couple of times and it starts working right again for a little while and then the same thing. The first time it happened I thought I was out of gas as my fuel gauge is stuck on full. Also it will not let me fill the tank up anymore than 15 dollars at a time. Why would it do that? The tank is standard size and I know it holds more than 5 gallons.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by antsls1
1998 z28. Sometimes it seems like it is running out of gas. I give it gas and it hesitates until it just shuts off. I turn the switch a couple of times and it starts working right again for a little while and then the same thing. The first time it happened I thought I was out of gas as my fuel gauge is stuck on full. Also it will not let me fill the tank up anymore than 15 dollars at a time. Why would it do that? The tank is standard size and I know it holds more than 5 gallons.
Clog in the fuel system? Try changing the fuel filter and see if it clears up before looking at more expensive issues.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check fuel pressure, could be weak pump, clogged fuel filter, or even a loose connection to the fuel pump. Maybe scan for codes to see if it's throwing a code before digging in anything. Also make sure the fuel gauge is working and that your not actually out of fuel .
Old 04-03-2015, 01:07 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Godamn fuel pumps...

Quick Reply: acts like it's running out of gas but it's not. what's up?