General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Knocking noise and leaking fluid...please help me out

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking noise and leaking fluid...please help me out

Hey everyone, I noticed while I was driving today that when I've got the A/C on it sounds like the passenger side of the engine is making a knocking noise. Only happens when the A/C is on and I can only hear it when I'm at a stop or in P.

When I stopped to check it out I'm leaking fluid that looks metallic from the passenger side. It seems to be dripping for maybe a black box across from the farthest back spark plug. I've got longtubes so I couldn't tell the exact location.

Any help is greatly appreciated. It's my daily so if there's an issue I need to try and get it fixed ASAP. Thanks!

Edit: forgot to add. I checked the fluid and on my finger it's clear and doesn't smell like anything I can discern. Might be coolant not sure.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:02 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

sounds like your AC compressor just bit the dust. You can get metal all in the AC lines when they fail. that black box next to the rear spark plug is likely your air exchanger / evaporator housing. Refrigerant oil is a clear, esther-based lubricant.

FYI - Esthers are organic compounds that tend to have very distinctive smells. Esthers are what give flowers and perfumes their scents - though not all esthers have a sweet smell
Old 05-13-2015, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The metallic liquid isn't a great sign, but you could check the AC belt tensioner. That tensioner is a fairly ignored item and if it starts to go bad it could get weaker and start bouncing around. It's a long shot but can't hurt to look at it when it's running. If you see it bouncing all over the place, that MAY be your problem.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm worried it might be the compressor too. I'll do some research on how much it would cost, but it's my daily and I'm going to need A/C for this summer.

The A/C works currently, it's not great, but it works. I checked the freon and it's actually overfilled. On the little gauge that comes with the can of freon, it was in the red, so I'm not sure if I need to bleed it out or not.

Thanks for the responses, I think the pulley might be causing the knocking as well I'll check it.

Quick Reply: Knocking noise and leaking fluid...please help me out