General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Buying oil online?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Buying oil online?

Does anybody have a reputable place to buy oil online? I was buying my oil at Walmart, but I've heard my Mobil 1 isn't the same there?

I was looking at Amazon, but the pricing seems too good to be true. Are there any reputable shops online (sponsors, etc) who sell genuine stuff I don't need to worry about?
Old 06-13-2015, 04:05 PM
12 Second Club

That's ubran legend/myth that the Mobil 1 is a lesser grade than what is sold elsewhere.

I don't usually use M1, but when I do (their excellent 0W-40, mixed with a high viscosity index 0W-20 {Sustina, Mazda genuine with moly, or Mobil 1 0W-20 EP} for a winter time oil change interval) I DO buy it in the 5 quart containers at Wal Mart (along with the also excellent fram Ultra oil filters), or on sale at NAPA for $5.99/quart.

When I purchase my Red Line 0W-40 I buy it online at Jeg's (lowest cost, no tax, free shipping + handling over $30.00).

When I need the Sustina 0W-20 I get it either at Matrix Synthetic Oils, or Sparktec (some may not like the latter place since they cater mostly to import fanboiees/ricers, and they NEVER EVER pick up a phone, EVER )
Old 06-13-2015, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

That's good to hear. It was also recommended that I use the 0-40 for my motor, which is what I was going with.

I'm a second owner of this '01, and the original owner exclusively used M1.... Pulling the heads off and diving into it, there's very little wear, and no sludge. Very clean: so I'm a believer. I just need a slightly better oil for the new cam/springs.

My local Walmart doesn't carry the 5qt 0-40, but Amazon has it for $25.... I just want to be sure it's not some knock off.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I order oil on line from Amsoil
Old 06-14-2015, 02:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I used to order Valvoline VR1 10w30 from Jegs, they were the only ones who stocked it and their price was great. That was many years ago, then they jacked the price up to something like 13.99/quart for a period of time, so I found a local source (an O'reilly) and ordered it through them for less than half the cost. Now I see that the price at Jegs has come back to reality, so I might order from them again to avoid the hassle of multiple trips to the parts store to order and then pick up the oil.

As for M1 0W40, I use that oil as well for my LS1 and everybody around here stocks it, so I've never ordered it online.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Buying oil online?

Joe Gibbs LS30 from Jegs.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dailydriver
That's ubran legend/myth that the Mobil 1 is a lesser grade than what is sold elsewhere.
Yeah, only tires and some of the electronics (mainly the black friday ONLY tv models) are of lesser quality, or at least they used to be, I still remember looking up a set of BF Goodrich KDW's on walmart's website and comparing them to the ones at tirerack or discount tire and there was a noticeable difference in the size of the "tear drops" that make up that tread pattern and the listed weights of the tires where like 2 pounds difference which is like 10% of the total weight of the tire in the size (17 vs. 19 pounds).

The rumor on Mobil1 seems to stem from the Walmart specific SKU number and label, which was likely done to prevent people from buying it for a lower price at walmart and trying to exchange or return it to other stores where it cost 10 bucks more, much like how many of the autoparts stores sell the 5.1 quart jugs instead of 5 quart to prevent that same crossover of walmart purchased jugs being brought to them.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Well, that's reassuring. My local Walmart doesn't stock the 5qt Mobil 1 0w-40, so I'm going to roll the dice with Amazon. Plus the price is tough to beat.

Hopefully theirs isn't some ripoff or counterfeit version!
Old 06-15-2015, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Well, that's reassuring. My local Walmart doesn't stock the 5qt Mobil 1 0w-40, so I'm going to roll the dice with Amazon. Plus the price is tough to beat.

Hopefully theirs isn't some ripoff or counterfeit version!
You can always order from Walmart.com. They will ship to your doorstep for free on orders over $50. I just did that for 2 - 5 gall jugs of motor oil and cabin filter. Seems every auto retail store also had to order a cabin filter for my 2002 DD. So I ordered if from WM where I could get the free shipping. My local WM carried the 0w-40. They call it a European mix as I recall. Probably has a different additive package then 5w-30 Mobil 1. Higher on zinc?

Last edited by Firebrian; 06-15-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Firebrian
They call it a European mix as I recall. Probably has a different additive package then 5w-30 Mobil 1. Higher on zinc?
It does have a more stout additive package (more ; boron, 'trinuclear' moly, and yes, ZDDP) than their 5W-30 (EVEN than the 5W-30 EP, OR HM), and the base oils are also of a higher grade, with recent talk on bobistheoilguy.com hinting that it is made using a high percentage of group 4/PAO basestock, and maybe even some group 5/POE (ester) as well, as compared to everything else (on the shelf at Wal Mart at least) nowadays which is highly refined group 3, or GTL (gas to liquid, like Pennzoil's 'synthetics', which are also very good products).

This oil also meets, or surpasses more high end car manufacturer's specs than ANY other oil on the planet.

The ONLY scenario I would hesitate to use it in our LSxes is in the winter in a place like International Falls, or upstate Alaska or such.

Quick Reply: Buying oil online?