General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rattling while idling in gear, steering wheel shaking when braking from above 30 mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Rattling while idling in gear, steering wheel shaking when braking from above 30 mph

Im not sure if these issues are from the same cause or not but i just noticed them this morning.

My car is making a pretty audible rattle only noticable from inside the car and very faintly, the engine bay, while its in gear and at a dead stop idle. It does not do it in park or nuetral. Any ideas?

Also when I brake from anything above 30 MPH, My steering wheel makes a consistant left / right shake. All 4 tires are brand new. I havent done a brake job yet though.

ideas?
Old 08-31-2015, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Need more detail on the rattle. Where does it sound like it's coming from? Is it metal or plastic sounding? Check under the vehicle while someone holds it in gear and on the brake (don't stick your head under the wheel lol). Since it only does it in gear, it's because something moved against something else when the trans shifts into gear and the drivetrain physically moves in the vehicle.

Your shake is likely your rotors.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by drdave88
Need more detail on the rattle. Where does it sound like it's coming from? Is it metal or plastic sounding? Check under the vehicle while someone holds it in gear and on the brake (don't stick your head under the wheel lol). Since it only does it in gear, it's because something moved against something else when the trans shifts into gear and the drivetrain physically moves in the vehicle.

Your shake is likely your rotors.
Yeah, sorry I wasnt descriptive. I made that post just before going into work.
For the shaking during braking, I believe its my rotors aswell, they still look like the stock rotors to be honest and I'm at 192k miles. I need to do a brake job on this car pretty bad. I need 1 month before I can afford to do it though.

For the brakes, are those Ceramic Coated Rebuilt Calipres on eBay any good? or avoid?. I know they're stock calipres rebuilt and ceramic coated but last thing I need are faulty brakes.

For the rattle. It is very hard to describe it.. It doesn't sound like rattling plastic, but doesn't exactly sound metal either. I took a video of it but I need a moment before I can upload it. The rhythm of it is much like the sound of a helicopter.

I also found out, it does not rattle in gear cold star (verified on my lunch break). The car has to warm up before it appears.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

You should only need pads and rotors. You'd only need calipers if there was a problem with them. I tend to avoid any eBay cheap parts. Get a good rotor from Napa or similar and a good ceramic pad and be all set.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

You should only need pads and rotors. You'd only need calipers if there was a problem with them. I tend to avoid any eBay cheap parts. Get a good rotor from Napa or similar and a good ceramic pad and be all set.
True, reason I was into the calipres is because someone attempted to paint these brakes and it came out horrible. I was thinking of just getting those calipres to replace them because they're powder coated.

Wasnt there a vendor on LS1tech who sells good rotors / pads at a decent price?
Old 09-01-2015, 07:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you were going to get new calipers, I still wouldn't get anything from eBay. Do you have a link to those calipers? Generally speaking, if they look really nice, and are cheap, and are on eBay, there's a reason you aren't paying much for them (quality). Not sure about the vendor on here, most likely though.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you were going to get new calipers, I still wouldn't get anything from eBay. Do you have a link to those calipers? Generally speaking, if they look really nice, and are cheap, and are on eBay, there's a reason you aren't paying much for them (quality). Not sure about the vendor on here, most likely though.
After looking them up, turns out they're not as cheap as I remembered, still doable but I dont want to mess with quality on something like Brakes because..well..thats a matter of life and death. But tell me what you think anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Rear-Red-Powdercoated-Premium-Performance-Calipers-Left-Right-/400713507308?fits=Year%3A1999%7CModel%3ACamaro%7CSubmodel%3AZ28&hash=item5d4c62e1ec&vxp=mtr
Old 09-02-2015, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

If what I read was correct from a Google search, they are just a Cardone reman caliper that are painted. So they're not really a performance caliper. I would get a better brand caliper (I wouldn't even replace them unless I had to), but you seem to want these, so it's your call.

Quick Reply: Rattling while idling in gear, steering wheel shaking when braking from above 30 mph