General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Steering column help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 05:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steering column help!

I just installed a manual rack and the steering shaft is too long. I was told to collapse the shaft into the column a little in order to gain clearance. I've tried everything I can think of (hammer, pry bar, heat) and the shaft won't budge. Any advice?
Old 09-21-2015, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shallow Bay
I just installed a manual rack and the steering shaft is too long. I was told to collapse the shaft into the column a little in order to gain clearance. I've tried everything I can think of (hammer, pry bar, heat) and the shaft won't budge. Any advice?
what car is this on? If its an FBody the steering shaft is solid and cannot be collapsed say maybe like a C5 column could be. Also what brand rack did you get?
Old 09-25-2015, 03:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cpt.Derrek
what car is this on? If its an FBody the steering shaft is solid and cannot be collapsed say maybe like a C5 column could be. Also what brand rack did you get?
I ended up loosening the bolts holding the rack to k member bracket. This gave me just enough clearance to slip the steering shaft on. Not the most ideal solution but it works! Thanks for the response!

Quick Reply: Steering column help!