General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Replacing hoses: what about clamps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing hoses: what about clamps?

I ordered a bunch of rad hoses to replace the factory ones while I go ahead and swap the cam...

I'm hesitant to do it as it is, but figured why not?

I'm wondering though: Will the original clamps still do the trick? Or should I buy a bunch of band clams?
Old 10-02-2015, 05:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the factory spring clamps. If you drive in in the northeast winter, they are probably rusted and have lost some clamping force.

Plan "B" would be gear clamps, but I don't like those because they cut the rubber when over tightened, and eventually loosen in time.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:32 AM
TECH Resident

Is there a part number for the spring clamps?

I had to replace one a few months back with a gear clamp because it was leaking after re-assembly
Old 10-02-2015, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Honestly I HATE the spring clamps, they are NOTHING but a big hassle to remove (or move at all) and half of them snap into a couple pieces when moving them and now you have to waste 20 minutes wrestling a busted clamp of the damn hose. As someone who has done their fair share of work on cooling systems over the years (much of it just standard maintenance) I would never suggest planning to save the clamps, expect them to break and plan accordingly, if they don't then you could re-use them.

as for the band clamps coming loose, well like everything else on a car you should check and re-tighten after a few days if needed. after that you shouldn't have any further issues.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some replacement hoses have a slightly smaller outside diameter than the factory hoses and the OEM clamps won't seal. Stainless band clamps are the only alternative if that's the case. Might as well plan on buying new clamps and avoiding the hassle of reusing the old clamps and then having to change them out later.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

I've been doing a little more research, and it seems spring clamps, or constant pressure clamps are the safer way to go.

Now if only you could find them...
Old 10-03-2015, 06:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wayland1985
I've been doing a little more research, and it seems spring clamps, or constant pressure clamps are the safer way to go.

Yes, and the other thing most on here do not realize, (because they either live where it is always warm, or their cars never see the light of day, or the dark of night during the winter months) is that IF you live in the northern tier states, and drive your car in the winter time at all, the spring clamps WILL hold a constant tension over LARGE swings in ambient temps, whereas even the very BEST stainless clamps (even the German/Swedish made deals which do not cut into the hose) will NOT.

Someone once told me (either on here, or another site) that amazon and ebay sell these OEM style spring clamps.

The only other decent option is the Gates heat shrink to seal type clamps, but they REALLY look like a hassle to use (to get a heat gun into the positions needed to heat seal them), and, you HAVE TO cut and destroy them to remove a hose.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Yes, and the other thing most on here do not realize, (because they either live where it is always warm, or their cars never see the light of day, or the dark of night during the winter months) is that IF you live in the northern tier states, and drive your car in the winter time at all, the spring clamps WILL hold a constant tension over LARGE swings in ambient temps, whereas even the very BEST stainless clamps (even the German/Swedish made deals which do not cut into the hose) will NOT.
This is correct, the OE clamps are OE for a reason - they work well, under a variety of conditions including some where screw type clamps are not as reliable. They don't need to be checked or re-tightened with a change in the seasons, etc. I see no reason to not use them unless, as mentioned above, the outer diameter of the replacement hoses isn't thick enough to provide a proper seal.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is correct, the OE clamps are OE for a reason - they work well, under a variety of conditions including some where screw type clamps are not as reliable. They don't need to be checked or re-tightened with a change in the seasons, etc. I see no reason to not use them unless, as mentioned above, the outer diameter of the replacement hoses isn't thick enough to provide a proper seal.
I purchased all AC delco hoses from rock auto.... I'm hoping they'd be the same size.

But: when I did my first cam swap, I had a spring clamp leak... I wish I could find a P/N for the spring clamps, but even the dealership doesn't have one.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:58 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

But: when I did my first cam swap, I had a spring clamp leak...
Are you sure it was the clamp and not the hose? Sometimes they won't "re-seat" properly after removal if the hose is old and/or if you don't get the spring clamp back on in the exact same place.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I got some on amazon, just had to pick the right diameter for the hose. Also got a tool for use with spring clamps that makes it easy, wouldn't go back to using band clamps now.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by patSS/00
I got some on amazon, just had to pick the right diameter for the hose. Also got a tool for use with spring clamps that makes it easy, wouldn't go back to using band clamps now.
Do you recall the size you purchased?
Old 10-04-2015, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Do you recall the size you purchased?
They were for 1-21/32" hose OD, brand Rotor Clip. They just fit, any smaller would not. This was a new aftermarket hose, maybe not exact same thickness as stock I didn't check.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:11 AM
TECH Resident

Are you sure it was the clamp and not the hose? Sometimes they won't "re-seat" properly after removal if the hose is old and/or if you don't get the spring clamp back on in the exact same place.
I'm almost certain: it was looking a bit corroded... The hoses had pretty clear indentations from the clamp, so I seated the clamp back into that void, but it started to trickle when warm.

Do you think reusing the old clamps would be okay?
Old 10-05-2015, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by patSS/00
They were for 1-21/32" hose OD, brand Rotor Clip. They just fit, any smaller would not. This was a new aftermarket hose, maybe not exact same thickness as stock I didn't check.
Was that the same size for all of the hoses? Upper and lower?

I'm at work and didn't have time to measure last night... So I may overnight them if they should fit
Old 10-05-2015, 09:50 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I'm almost certain: it was looking a bit corroded... The hoses had pretty clear indentations from the clamp, so I seated the clamp back into that void, but it started to trickle when warm.

Do you think reusing the old clamps would be okay?
I have often re-used this style of clamp without any problems. In my experience, it's usually the old hose that has trouble re-seating more so than any issues with the clamp (whether spring OR screw type.)
Old 10-05-2015, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

I have often re-used this style of clamp without any problems. In my experience, it's usually the old hose that has trouble re-seating more so than any issues with the clamp (whether spring OR screw type.)
I'll give it a shot, and see what happens. It looks like the clamps aren't available for overnighting anyways, and I'd really like to get the car up and running tomorrow, so I'll wing it.

If she leaks, I'll just order new clamps!

Thanks for all of the help!
Old 11-21-2015, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

Well, I ended up replacing just the hoses and rolled the dice with the clamps. Aside from a small leak (remedied by simply moving the spring clamp a little on the hose), all is holding together well so far.

So you were right: the hose is the main culprit (which I guess makes sense.... If the clamp is seating into the rubber of the hose, then it must lost some of its clamping power).
Old 11-22-2015, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I used those OEM-style spring Corbin clamps (round stock) which are even tougher to seat than flat stock bands. I always used the red Loctite 518 flexible gasket on any coolant hoses or thermostats. Never had a leak in dozens of uses over a 10 year period on my classic Mopars. I just found it to be an extra measure of cheap insurance. I always prefer the look of the factory clamps.

Quick Reply: Replacing hoses: what about clamps?