General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-13-2016, 03:14 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

How often does everyone change their dexcool?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 07:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Question How often does everyone change their dexcool?

Considering how old the forum is now I'm surprised there isn't anything in the General Maintenance & Repairs FAQ....

My book says 100k miles or 5 years but do you think 5 years is too long?
Iv gone 2.5 years and I'm probably going to change it but tell me what your plan is on maintaining the cooling system?
Old 10-08-2015, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Dexcool? what is that? I swapped over to da green stuff after my radiator got plugged and there was crud in my block. Flushed all that crap out and went to "regular" coolant.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Considering how old the forum is now I'm surprised there isn't anything in the General Maintenance & Repairs FAQ....

My book says 100k miles or 5 years but do you think 5 years is too long?
Iv gone 2.5 years and I'm probably going to change it but tell me what your plan is on maintaining the cooling system?
If you have a tight cooling system, Dexcool will easily last 5 years with ZERO issues.

But you will thank yourself by flushing the system REAL GOOD and then going to the GREEN coolant. I stayed with Dexcool since just about a year ago and there is absolutely better cooling with the GREEN coolant. And I have an iron block too.

Go GREEN....there is absolutely no reason not to.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS6427
If you have a tight cooling system, Dexcool will easily last 5 years with ZERO issues.

But you will thank yourself by flushing the system REAL GOOD and then going to the GREEN coolant. I stayed with Dexcool since just about a year ago and there is absolutely better cooling with the GREEN coolant. And I have an iron block too.

Go GREEN....there is absolutely no reason not to.

Cooling system is tight and was tight on all 3 ls1 cars I've had. Squeaky clean. Never any issues with dexcool.
I was going to do a real good flush with purple power degreaser just because I'm obsessive with some maintenance. Didn't plan on going green. From my experience if the cooling system is maintained, no air leaks or other fluids getting into the system then dexcool is fine. I've never had any of the issues of gaskets being eaten, sludge or corrosion people claim. I know the argument goes both ways.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:14 PM
TECH Addict

I can see why you have no reason to change. I bought my car used and have no clue what it went through, but I assume air/water got in at some point and things did not agree with the Dexcool. So out it came so I don't have to worry about that again.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:21 PM
10 Second Club

Well I just drained the radiator and looks great. At this point there's no reason to go to green ill continue my normal flush and fill with dexcool.
I think from here on out i'll just drain and fill the radiator every 1-2 years.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I can see why you have no reason to change. I bought my car used and have no clue what it went through, but I assume air/water got in at some point and things did not agree with the Dexcool. So out it came so I don't have to worry about that again.
You have a lt1? Im not sure on this but I was under the impression dexcool was made for aluminum? I know they boasted of less maintenance for sure. That part didn't really work out for some people.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:59 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Well I just drained the radiator and looks great. At this point there's no reason to go to green ill continue my normal flush and fill with dexcool.
I think from here on out i'll just drain and fill the radiator every 1-2 years.
The reason to go green: You will absolutely run cooler. No chance of sludge ever happening. No need to ever really flush again, green doesn't leave anything behind and it keeps the cooling system squeaky clean like new.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Another reason is that generic/green coolant can be compatible with other color coolants. Dexcool can ONLY have dexcool added to it. So IF something happens and you need to add coolant, you better have access to dexcool.

Since I autocross my car in sometimes 90+* heat, I bring coolant just in case something pops. Plus, not too many people at the event will have dexcool laying around if I needed some I dropped in a Griffin Al. radiator, custom fan shroud, EWP, new 160* thermostat and generic green coolant. I have not seen a temp above 195* in my reverse cooled LT1.

We got off topic...how often should you change your coolant? I would say whenever a "coolant tester" tells you to. I believe you can rent/buy them at the parts store. It's almost like checking the pH levels in a pool.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Didn't plan on going green. From my experience if the cooling system is maintained, no air leaks or other fluids getting into the system then dexcool is fine. I've never had any of the issues of gaskets being eaten, sludge or corrosion people claim. I know the argument goes both ways.
This is correct, I don't see any reason to go with green either. As said above, you won't have any issues at all with Dexcool if the system is leak free, isn't allowed to run low, and is changed at the factory recommended interval or sooner.

For 17 years my '98 has been filled with Dexcool, my entire cooling system is 100% original (including gaskets, radiator, hoses - all of it) and completely issue free. I see absolutely no reason to ever swap coolant types. This is a limited use vehicle for me, so rather than a full flush I just drain and refill the radiator every two years. I just performed this task in May of this year, and the radiator was as clean as always.

For my various daily drivers using Dexcool, I just stick with the 5-year full flush program, as recommended. No issues at all doing that either (on LS1s or my L61 and LE5.) I definitely wouldn't recommend going longer than 5 years though.

Having said that, certain engines have known issues regarding gasket compatibility with Dexcool. The L36/L67 3.8L is one of those engines, and the intake gaskets are known to leak. I had that issue with two of mine (both L36s), but that's specific to this engine platform and the stock/original gaskets from that earlier era with Dexcool. There is no similar/comparable issue with the LS1 and Dexcool.

As said above: sludge, slime, sand, etc., issues are the result of unchecked leaks resulting in system air/low coolant and/or too old of coolant, and/or mixed with questionable water or other coolant types. If you maintain the system properly, these issues won't happen.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is correct, I don't see any reason to go with green either. As said above, you won't have any issues at all with Dexcool if the system is leak free, isn't allowed to run low, and is changed at the factory recommended interval or sooner.

For 17 years my '98 has been filled with Dexcool, my entire cooling system is 100% original (including gaskets, radiator, hoses - all of it) and completely issue free. I see absolutely no reason to ever swap coolant types. This is a limited use vehicle for me, so rather than a full flush I just drain and refill the radiator every two years. I just performed this task in May of this year, and the radiator was as clean as always.

For my various daily drivers using Dexcool, I just stick with the 5-year full flush program, as recommended. No issues at all doing that either (on LS1s or my L61 and LE5.) I definitely wouldn't recommend going longer than 5 years though.

Having said that, certain engines have known issues regarding gasket compatibility with Dexcool. The L36/L67 3.8L is one of those engines, and the intake gaskets are known to leak. I had that issue with two of mine (both L36s), but that's specific to this engine platform and the stock/original gaskets from that earlier era with Dexcool. There is no similar/comparable issue with the LS1 and Dexcool.

As said above: sludge, slime, sand, etc., issues are the result of unchecked leaks resulting in system air/low coolant and/or too old of coolant, and/or mixed with questionable water or other coolant types. If you maintain the system properly, these issues won't happen.

Why the 5-year full flush program on the DDs? Why not just do the drain and refill like on your '98?
Old 10-08-2015, 10:59 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Why the 5-year full flush program on the DDs? Why not just do the drain and refill like on your '98?
A couple of reasons:

- The daily drivers see considerably more mileage, so I feel better about doing a complete flush as the coolant (and cooling system) sees much greater usage - but doing so every couple of years would just be overkill. The 5 year program has resulted in zero issues for this purpose with my DDs.

- Many/most of my daily drivers have had sealed radiators and/or no petcock, so frequent drain/re-fill is kind of a hassle. It's easier just to have it flushed with the machine every 5 years instead.

- The '98 is driven so rarely that doing a full flush would really be more work than is needed, and as it is a show vehicle I also try to minimize any mess. The coolant sees very little usage, but obviously still needs to be kept fresh so the drain/refill has worked great and resulted in zero issues or gunk build up in nearly two decades. Every time I drain it, what comes out looks and smells new, and there is never any sludge in the radiator. However, for a daily driven vehicle this might not be enough over the long term for the typical mileage seen during a change interval.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Dexcool is ok if you don't have a slow leak etc but if it gets air mixed into while hot it turns into a powerful acid quickly that will eat aluminum badly. Why risk it? I had trouble with water pump gaskets leaking a small amount over time, this caused a small amount of air to accumulate in the coolant. Huge mess and once it starts wow is it hard to stop. Dexcool is ok if you have a PERFECT cooling system.................I seen some insane messes from it.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stick with Dexcool because I am pretty sure it is better for the aluminum block and the cooling system components. The additives in it are designed for it. Stick with the factory recommended intervals or sooner and there should be no problem. I haven't touched my cooling system in 5 years now, so it's time for me to flush.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:11 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
if it gets air mixed into while hot it turns into a powerful acid quickly that will eat aluminum badly.
Where did you get this information? I'm not a chemist, but it sounds a little fanciful and like it came from a Breaking Bad episode. I'd like to learn more about this chemistry. I can see certain gasses in air causing something to become mildly acidic, but there would have to be some wild reactions for a powerful acid to be created. (If it could dissolve aluminum, you could probably also dissolve body parts with it - that would be cool.)
Old 10-09-2015, 09:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

tell me what your plan is on maintaining the cooling system?
I wait until the Dexcool starts to oxidize and congeal. When I look in to the radiator and it appears that there are living things in there winking at me, I know its time for a change.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Where did you get this information? I'm not a chemist, but it sounds a little fanciful and like it came from a Breaking Bad episode. I'd like to learn more about this chemistry. I can see certain gasses in air causing something to become mildly acidic, but there would have to be some wild reactions for a powerful acid to be created. (If it could dissolve aluminum, you could probably also dissolve body parts with it - that would be cool.)
I made it all up...................
Old 10-10-2015, 08:45 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
I wait until the Dexcool starts to oxidize and congeal. When I look in to the radiator and it appears that there are living things in there winking at me, I know its time for a change.
Wow, thanks for your professionalism and keeping the thread classy with a pile of nonsense.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have a lt1? Im not sure on this but I was under the impression dexcool was made for aluminum? I know they boasted of less maintenance for sure. That part didn't really work out for some people.
GM started using Dexcool before the LS1 was even around. LT1's got it, as well as some of the iron block Vortec engines.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My family has owned many gm cars of the later era's and personally I hate dexcool. I had it destroy intake gaskets in one car, and other systems have had the nasty sludge form inside them. I think I've only seen one that was clean.

If you keep the system leak free and whatnot then dexcool might be ok, but lets face it lots of systems leak after some age. I've never had any issues with the green stuff when I replace the dexcool with it, on top of that the new green stuff does not hurt the block and will run a little cooler. Plus it NEVER sludges up and you can add any coolant to it whereas dexcool wont allow that.

The whole thing about "well if you maintain dexcool it wont sludge up"....what? lol I don't intend to not upkeep my car at all but why would I even chance something like that happening. Dexcool is just gm's brand of coolant theres no real specific reason to use it, does everyone still use the OE oil brand their cars came with ? Sort of the same thing...

Quick Reply: How often does everyone change their dexcool?