General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel bearing

hey guys, so i have a 2000 camaro z28. for a while now its been making a roaring/rumbling sound in the rear end. ive been thinking its wheel bearings just havent gotten around to checking. ive read alot of other posts on here about how if it is the stock axle ill need a repair bearing or possibly a new axle shaft. if so what all am i looking at, as well where is a good place to buy these parts. autozone is pretty useful but at the same time arent top quility parts sometimes. as well is there a writeup or does anyone have experience in replacing these that can email me or something and kinda help me through the process. from what ive read it does look like it is too hard to do but always good to have a second opinion. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2015, 09:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

many related posts and discussions in the 'gears and axles' forum !
Old 12-03-2015, 02:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently did this job and used the timkin bearings. Install is pretty simple with the right tools. You will need a slide hammer and a rubber mallet to removing and installing the bearings and seals. procedure is basically remove both wheels and then remove brake caliper, bracket, and rotor (make sure parking brake is off). Next remove dif cover and drain fluid. You will see your carrier and there should be a small locking pin/nut in the middle that you remove so you can push the axle shafts in to remove c-clips to then remove the shaft out of the axle. once shafts are removed you can use the slide hammer to remove axle seals and bearings. Make when removing the bearings they don't leave any inside the axle tube. Install new bearings using a bearing installer that is just smaller than the axle tube. I used a socket that fit pretty close and tapped it in with the mallet. Same for installation of seal. Now everything is all reverse from installing. Make sure to use limited slip addative to new axle fluid.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:05 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000z28jde
hey guys, so i have a 2000 camaro z28. for a while now its been making a roaring/rumbling sound in the rear end. ive been thinking its wheel bearings just havent gotten around to checking. ive read alot of other posts on here about how if it is the stock axle ill need a repair bearing or possibly a new axle shaft. if so what all am i looking at, as well where is a good place to buy these parts. autozone is pretty useful but at the same time arent top quility parts sometimes. as well is there a writeup or does anyone have experience in replacing these that can email me or something and kinda help me through the process. from what ive read it does look like it is too hard to do but always good to have a second opinion. Thanks!
Call a Powertrain Shop in your area. I just had one side done that was leaking. They only charged $150.00 total cost. They used the new bearings that Strange sent to me, don't remember the brand. They have the presses needed to remove the old bearings from the shaft. It was too much hassle for me to try when it was only $150.00 to let the experts do it.
Oh, they also installed something called a Tube Seal for $5.00 extra. So you can't dump your axle fluid ever again when the bearing does start to go. What a mess that makes.......

Old 12-06-2015, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

There are no bearings on the axle shafts, its a basic repair. Any tools needed can be loaned at Autozone etc.

Quick Reply: wheel bearing