General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

window regulator problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 06:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default window regulator problems

ok this is now my 5th f-body so when i decided to fix the window motor i figured no big deal i've changed countless motors no biggie.......i was wrong

so the initial problem was the window wouldn't roll all the way up and when pulled up it would fall again so i figured broken teeth so i pull the door apart and found this

Name:  IMG_5713.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  138.8 KB
Name:  IMG_5714.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  158.3 KB

at some point in the past someone changed the regulator (i'm assuming) broke one of the mounting points for the stock rivets and decided to just go ahead and drill new holes to mount it and now the bolts holding it in have created their own grooves making the whole assembly move up and down

i figure the best way to fix is just re-do the rivets but have no idea where to find them OR if i can figure out someway to mount in the new spots and get it to stop moving up and down

any ideas? am i thinking too far into this??
Old 12-16-2015, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am having to replace my power window motor shortly as well. I am gathering information and came across this part number for the rivets.

PN 10157547 as well as this link:

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...ulator-rivets/

Not sure how to go about fixing the damage already done to the door though.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:01 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by sprung_monkey
at some point in the past someone changed the regulator (i'm assuming) broke one of the mounting points for the stock rivets and decided to just go ahead and drill new holes to mount it and now the bolts holding it in have created their own grooves making the whole assembly move up and down

i figure the best way to fix is just re-do the rivets but have no idea where to find them OR if i can figure out someway to mount in the new spots and get it to stop moving up and down

any ideas? am i thinking too far into this??
This is a classic problem created by the replacement of the regulator with bolts and not the required, special rivets. The rivets are needed to properly bear on the composite door panel. When bolts or improper full-steel rivets are used, they tear right through the panel.

The best known fix is to create a mounting plate to sandwich to the inside of the door skin. This tread gives guidance: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-included.html
Old 12-16-2015, 05:25 PM
10 Second Club

thanks i never have seen it before with my previous cars or heard of it guess you learn something new every day

Quick Reply: window regulator problems