General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window doesnt't go up all the way...Pics included

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window doesnt't go up all the way...Pics included

The delearship said that its the fiberglass inside the door where the rivots for the track and regulator are and the fiberglass is f'ed up and is causing it not to seal....has anyone had this problem...heres the pictures of what the window is doing...thanks in advance

Old 07-28-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

the motor might have torn up some of the fiberglass around the rivet holes. you should take off the door panel and look at it to see if you can find a way to fix it yourself
Old 07-28-2008, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
the motor might have torn up some of the fiberglass around the rivet holes. you should take off the door panel and look at it to see if you can find a way to fix it yourself
i looked at the fiberglass...theres like a billion holes where chevy has tried to fix it...and a body shop told me i have to get an entire new door...isnt there just a replacement fiberglass panel i can get?
Old 07-28-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how would the fiberglass affect the window? you just put holes in the fiberglass to get to WHERE the motor is mounted.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

and those holes hold the motor in place.

if one, or all, are bigger than they should be, the motor will move inside the door instead of moving the window up
Old 07-28-2008, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

so how do i resolve this...the guy said id have to replace the WHOLE door?!?! is there another remedy for this...
Old 07-28-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
and those holes hold the motor in place.

if one, or all, are bigger than they should be, the motor will move inside the door instead of moving the window up
No they dont. The 3 holes to be drilled to remove the motor rivets are seperate from the panel holding the motor in place.

Now, god only knows what the dealer did in there. We need some pictures of the inside of the door.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
No they dont. The 3 holes to be drilled to remove the motor rivets are seperate from the panel holding the motor in place.

Now, god only knows what the dealer did in there. We need some pictures of the inside of the door.

Alright let me go take them...keep checking back in here to see them...ill have em up in like 10 min
Old 07-28-2008, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

ok heres the pics of the inside...chevy really dicked it up...

Old 07-28-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

in the last pic, toward the top in the middle of the pic, there is a hole in the door and there is a little tab thingie that is supposed to catch on the hole.

But you can see how the hole has been messed up and the tab doesnt catch. thats the problem IMO. The tab isnt catching, so the window isnt going up as far as it needs to. It might not be easy, but try rolling the window down and watch that part move back up a little, and then try and roll the window up and see if you can hold that tab thing with some vice grips or something.

im not 100% sure thats the problem, but i think it is.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

If I were you I'd drill out the rivets that are fucked up and place a bolt and nut with a large fender washer through there.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:28 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The holes that secure the regulator in place are torn. It looks like someone has done a back woods patch job to keep it in place after messing up the holes. For example, there is only supposed to be one rivet by the "M" stamped in the door, but there are two. (This was probably done in an attempt to take up some of the weakness.) It was probably OK for a while and then recently, the repair tore through and the regulator has dropped downwards in the door, also dropping the glass.

The holes were probably enlarged and damaged in a sloppy attempt to remove the regulator to replace the door motor. (This is the standard GM proceedure for the motor replacement.)

A body shop may be able to patch the holes with a structural fiberglass patch (GM provides proceedures for this kind of thing in the service manual.) so the holes can then be re-drilled in the correct spots. Or maybe they can epoxy washers over the holes. (They will have access to adhesives that will be better suited for this material than the stuff you can get at the hardware store.) After fixing the holes, you may also need a new regulator, depending on how badly the original one has been drilled out.

Not to worry about the metal tab - its not structural. It only holds the regulator in place during assembly while its riveted to the door. Only the four original rivets are structural.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

I LOVE CHEVY'S CRAFTSMANSHIP TO FIX ****! Well thanks for all the advice..ill take it to the body shop i trust around here and pass on the info to him...if anyone has anything else to add on PLEASE feel free to let me know...
Old 07-29-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

if the car is not daily driven or if you have time why couldn't you just add some fresh fiberglass? put a couple of layers on whats already there and than redrill fresh holes problem solved right?? for added security do like posted above and use a bolt and washers. fiberglass isn't hard specially when you dont have to worry about it looking pretty.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i love how morans try to grind down the stupid rivet and mess the whole door up all you have to do is take a drill with a bit the same size as the rivet and in like .2 seconds the rivet is drilled threw and bam done
Old 07-29-2008, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Well I took the car to the body shop that i trust and i got a suggestion...He said if I never wanted to worry about the problem again, then I should probably fab a metal plate to fit that area, and put adhesive to make it stick, and just drill the holes and be done with it...he said refiberglassing would be a waste of my money cause it would more than likely just do the same again...thoughts anyone?
Old 07-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Launching!

Given how fucked up that door already is, that's not such a bad idea. It's gonna be a pain no matter how you look at it.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Yea it sounds like a legit idea...i just wish i knew who fucked up my door so i could **** up their face...
Old 07-29-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

That sucks. But, that does sound like a decenta idea.

Good luck. . . !
Old 07-29-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

i agree sounds much easier than my previous post and seems like it should work.

Quick Reply: Window doesnt't go up all the way...Pics included