General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

1998 WS6 Speedometer doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 WS6 Speedometer doesn't work

I have a 98 ws6 and the speedometer does not work, every other gauge works fine, replaced VSS and no luck, it is working if u have it hooked to a snap on scanner it reads the vehicle speed so I assume the VSS is working ok, we have looked at most of the wires to computer and cluster all checks out good any ideas
Old 01-04-2016, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 4.0Whipple03
I have a 98 ws6 and the speedometer does not work, every other gauge works fine, replaced VSS and no luck, it is working if u have it hooked to a snap on scanner it reads the vehicle speed so I assume the VSS is working ok, we have looked at most of the wires to computer and cluster all checks out good any ideas
If all the wiring checks good and you have a signal from the VSS on your scanner telling you the vehicle's speed then most likely you have a bad Gauge Cluster, they do go bad afterall.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are lucky it might be the stepper motor for that gauge, which is what makes the needle move.
gm had a recall on them for 2003-2006 trucks, which my truck was part of.
I bought new steppers from http://gm-stepper-motors.weebly.com/
and for the gauge cluster in my truck i was able to pull it apart and unsolder the old stepper motors and put in all new ones. there's plenty of articles on the web for "stepper motor replacement".
if that's too much for you, there are many places that you can mail your whole cluster to and they will test it and replace the stepper motors and lights for you.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Is it possible to still obtain a brand new stock cluster for our cars ?

Quick Reply: 1998 WS6 Speedometer doesn't work