General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2002 Trans Am LS1 Loud Knock

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 07:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Trans Am LS1 Loud Knock

Sorry I'm starting a new thread on an existing subject, but I couldn't find one that already existed. I have a 2002 Trans Am LS1 that developed a LOUD/VIOLENT knocking noise over night. When I cut it off one evening it was fine, next.morning THIS out of the blue. Car wasn't ran hard and is all stock with 56K on it. I ran a diagnostic on the computer and it is saying misfire on cylinders 5&7. We cur the filter in half at the machine shop and found no trash in it, or the oil drained. I replaced the coil packs on 5&7, still no luck. Some PLEASE for the live of GOD point me in the right direction here. I'll include a link of a yTube video of what I'm talking about. Thanks in Advance fellas.... i just really want to get this beast back on the road, she's been sitting for a year 😞

https://youtu.be/crrAqMqpaOc

-Mike
Old 05-02-2016, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Did it rain that night?
Old 05-02-2016, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you taken the valve cover off to see what it looks like? hopefully its just something in the valvetrain
Old 05-02-2016, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always go back to the basics when issues like this arrive. You have already checked spark I assume by having changed the coil packs.
Check fuel now.
check plugs.

If it has air/fuel and spark those cylinders should be firing. I don't know enough about the pcm/computer to advise. Sorry old carburetor guy.

I wouldn't run that engine in that condition, the fuel will wash out that cylinder and it will accelerate wear.

To me it sounds like you are not getting oil up top and the lifters/rockers are clacking.

Quick Reply: 2002 Trans Am LS1 Loud Knock