General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

What kind of and what brand of power steering fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What kind of and what brand of power steering fluid?

Yes I've done a search internally on the site as well as on google and browsed the stickies but do not see a consensus. My 98 Z28 has developed a leak. I have been probably been doing something rather stupid and filling the reservoir back up with what ever dollar store equivalent I can find.

Can I use Dexron 6 ATF in the reservoir? If not what is a good brand of power steering fluid? Is synthetic PS a bad idea?
Old 05-03-2016, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unless you know your power steering fluid is overheating,
i recommend sticking with a name brand regular "power steering fluid" versus a synthetic. And then if the power steering fluid is overheating, the solution there is a power steering cooler. The GM power steering pumps and seals are supposed to run on PS fluid, not automatic transmission fluid. Either work fine as a hydraulic fluid, which is all that the power steering system is. Using ATF you are spending more money on a fluid with extra additives meant to run in an automatic trans and won't benefit you any using atf in the power steering system. I'd expect ATF to leak more than PS fluid.
In any case, actually fixing your leak is the solution rather than using a fluid that won't leak.
For the gm power steering pump if it's original, i think you're wasting your money on synthetic power steering fluid. If you put a new rack in and/or new power steering pump with new hoses, then from a clean slate using a synthetic PS fluid i could understand. But servicing your PS every ~2 years replacing the fluid with the cheapest store brand I would say is better than running redline/amsoil/rp/any synthetic ps fluid and never servicing that.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

There have been threads about using Dexron 6 ATF in the power steering system to quiet noisy pumps. Sometimes it works,sometimes it doesn't. But never was it stated that it made it worse. I've done it.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could try the Valvoline Max Life power steering fluid, which does have a mild stop leak additive in it and see if that slows down the leak at all.
Is the leak at the rack (NOTHING, fluid-wise will stop, or even slow that down), or is it at the pump?

It IS good fluid regardless (semi-synthetic), and priced in-between the cheapo discount brands and the premium 'boutique' synthetics (Red Line, RP, Amsoil, etc.).
Old 05-03-2016, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

FWIW....it doesn't matter man. I have my original PS pump (1998) and all its ever gotten for topping off fluid and a couple of flushes in 18 years is Advance Auto Parts or pep Boys brand. There's some things that just dont matter at all, and PS fluid is one of them.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^For mild street driving and drag racing ONLY, yes, you are correct.

For extended road course use, or even 'hot-lapping' on an autocross course, it REALLY matters, and sometimes it takes a premium 'boutique' synthetic p.s. fluid AND a good, stacked plate, air to fluid cooler to keep the fluid from puking out of the p.s. reservoir.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:30 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
^^^For mild street driving and drag racing ONLY, yes, you are correct.

For extended road course use, or even 'hot-lapping' on an autocross course, it REALLY matters, and sometimes it takes a premium 'boutique' synthetic p.s. fluid AND a good, stacked plate, air to fluid cooler to keep the fluid from puking out of the p.s. reservoir.
Yup.

I'm just assuming hes a street driver....no hard core road course racing.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Agreed, for the average car, cheapest crap you can find will work fine. I too am on my original pump.....and water pump too, weird right. ...
Old 05-07-2016, 05:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've stuck with the OEM GM #89021182 PS fluid (AC Delco 10-5030 or 5073). At $8.25/qt it doesn't break the bank to do a 1 qt drain/refill every year. I also use the GM stuff (MTL 88861800) in the M6 transmission ($6.32/qt).
Old 05-07-2016, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I do a bit of autocross and corner carving and I use Red Line 30404 Synthetic PS fluid. I do have an aftermarket cooler and so far it's been great and kept my power steering quiet. Seems to be a popular choice for the RR/HPDE guys as well. Pricey but you gotta pay to play.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Just don't put in anything with stop leak. Fix the issue. Stop leak will continue to expand the seals then give out catastrophically eventually.

Quick Reply: What kind of and what brand of power steering fluid?