General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tag Light Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 12:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tag Light Not Working

Like the title says, bulb was burned out on my 97 ws6, pulled over by the cops. Installed two different bulbs and are not working. Thoughts? What's the easiest way to check w/o tearing off the bumper?

Last edited by ninjafaces; 07-08-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:01 AM
Teching In

Well coming back with a update. I tried to test it w/ a tester I had. The second I placed it in the socket I heard a popping sound coming from the front of the car and now I have no dash light or tail lights when the lights are turned on.

Checked all the fuses and they're good. Could it have caused a short? Dimmer switch still works, when I turn it all the way up the cabin light comes on, odo and warning lights on the dash still work, turn signals still work, and the headlights still work fine.

Last edited by ninjafaces; 07-08-2016 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:52 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You should be able to trace the harness as it moves back through the car. I would think there should be a connector for the tag light and side markers behind the carpet in the trunk. (I'm not sure about that.)

If you register on AutoZone's website, they have all the car's schematics (available for free) so you can decode the wires in the connector.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by wssix99
You should be able to trace the harness as it moves back through the car. I would think there should be a connector for the tag light and side markers behind the carpet in the trunk. (I'm not sure about that.)

If you register on AutoZone's website, they have all the car's schematics (available for free) so you can decode the wires in the connector.
Thanks for the suggestion. Had a friend w/ a electrical engineering degree come take a look at it. 5 min he found the blown fuse. I guess I'm blind.

Quick Reply: Tag Light Not Working