General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Sloppy turn signal stalk

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Sloppy turn signal stalk

My turn signal has a lot of play in it. Do I need to replace the stalk or the switch?
Old 08-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The last thing you want to do is pull the stalk. It is a solid piece which engages the wiper control directly. That is connected to the turn signal switch by linkages.

The wiper control is fragile and gets brittle over time. Pulling the stalk could break the wiper control and it... requires a hellish procedure to replace.

You may just have a loose linkage screw or a loose spring in the turn signal switch. Worst case, it could be a broken turn signal switch. That's a PITA to replace - but you should be able to get a new one pretty easily since it so common to many GM columns. See step #19 for a picture of the linkage screw. I'd check to see if it's loose first: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html

BTW - While you are in there, I highly recommend using white lithium grease to lube in between the plastic pieces of the turn signal switch and between the flat metal springs and the plastic pieces. This will make your turn signal buttery smooth - like it was from the factory. Replacing the turn signal canceling springs is also advised. They are around $3 and can be had from any local parts store. They break around every 100K miles-ish, so best to put new ones in while you have the column open so you don't have to turn around and do it later.

Quick Reply: Sloppy turn signal stalk