General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LT1: Replaced AC Compressor and Idler Pulley - now I hear belt squeak in morning.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1: Replaced AC Compressor and Idler Pulley - now I hear belt squeak in morning.

Well to be honest, it's not only in the morning. It's when I leave work too. I guess it happens when the engine is cold. I sprayed water in the ribs of the belt and the squeaks cease.

What's left to do?

Brand new parts:

AC Compressor
Idler Pulley (Belt tensioner)

Engine is stock.
Old 02-02-2017, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

It's probably alignment if it started getting noisy after swapping those parts. On the LT1 does that belt wrap around the crank, tensioner and compressor?
Old 02-03-2017, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/hRQAAO...kz8/s-l300.jpg

That's the same tag my car has on the engine bay.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the LS1 has a separate belt for the AC compressor. I will tell you this ... I fought the very issue that you're dealing with; even bought a belt alignment laser. The only pulley that might have been off was the pressed on pulley on the PS unit. It had the sound of a dry bearing and was worse on humid days. I replaced everything .. even the serpentine belt (a gatorback) with no success. I bought a gates belt and that quieted it right down. One thing that could help too is to clean the large water pump pulley as it does get gunked up and can cause the belts to want to "track" itself in grooves there.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TA_Freak
Well the LS1 has a separate belt for the AC compressor. I will tell you this ... I fought the very issue that you're dealing with; even bought a belt alignment laser. The only pulley that might have been off was the pressed on pulley on the PS unit. It had the sound of a dry bearing and was worse on humid days. I replaced everything .. even the serpentine belt (a gatorback) with no success. I bought a gates belt and that quieted it right down. One thing that could help too is to clean the large water pump pulley as it does get gunked up and can cause the belts to want to "track" itself in grooves there.
Oh dang, that sounds terrible. And woe is me. I ordered a Gatorback belt and it is arriving today
Old 02-03-2017, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

No ... you may be fine. It's worked well for many. It may be all you need! Check that water pump pulley and see if it's grooved. You can clean it.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:40 PM
Banned

On my ls1 TA, the a/c belt tensioner bearing was making a lot of squeaks . I sprayed wd40 on the bearing and it was worse. I replaced the entire assembly, which was a few bucks more than the bearing itself. Undo 3 bolts to remove, and a new belt. No squeaks.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

LT1 is different guys, we only have one belt and one tensioner, no idlers or water pump pulley. OP, what brand tensioner did you use? I'd be suspect of a cheap parts store brand being bad right out of the box. The LT1 tensioner is usually a pretty durable piece.

Take the belt off and turn the pulleys by hand, see if you hear any noise. I'm a fan of Dayco belts myself.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spartan7
LT1 is different guys, we only have one belt and one tensioner, no idlers or water pump pulley. OP, what brand tensioner did you use? I'd be suspect of a cheap parts store brand being bad right out of the box. The LT1 tensioner is usually a pretty durable piece.

Take the belt off and turn the pulleys by hand, see if you hear any noise. I'm a fan of Dayco belts myself.
AC Delco belt and AC Delco tensioner.

I did not hear a noise. I did, however, hear something when I spun the alternator's pulley. It made a metallic soft grind sound when spun clockwise and an intermittent squeak when spun anti-clockwise. Its grooves (the alts) were full of past belt crap.

Could be bad alt bearings but the noise is now gone. I put the Gatorback belt - well, not really. It's the Continental belt with the same part number that's oft recommended here.

Quick Reply: LT1: Replaced AC Compressor and Idler Pulley - now I hear belt squeak in morning.